Cheap rope for speedline?

gibbon

I have a job where were we will be felling some Sycamore and Elm on top of a 20m bank. I'm wandering about speedlining the timber down to the garden and would need to set up a fairly long run of around 100m. The heaviest sections would be 80-100 kg I guess. I would tension the line with either a grcs or landrover winch

I think I would need around 120m of rope for the speedline and don't want to spead a fortune on it for 1 job. Would 16mm polyprop do the job?

I have some Marlow 11mm static military abseil line, perfect for speedlines, and not too expensive. Any Marlow dealer can get it by the reel, although the reel I bought was 100 metres, so you would have to find out if it comes in longer lengths.

16mm polyprop is not ideal, too stretchy and you'll struggle to find decent hardware to run on it. If you ran the timber on a biner or shackle instead of a pulley, it could easily get hot enough to damage the rope.

11mm is ideal as the petzl tandem pulleys will run on it nicely.

Hi Matt

I might be able to get hold of some black marlow, it comes in a 200m reel, its none-dynamic, my mate is still in the Marines at Chivenor here in sunny N Devon.

Let me koow ASAP and i'll put the feelers out.

It's what i use as a speed line and works very well:biggrin:

Thanks. I am off snow boarding tomorrow afternoon so I might be hard to get hold of. I'll still be picking up calls next week but it might be easier just to get it and I'll sort you when I'm back.

Nice one with the landy. Make sure you get an ifor too if your to makes real use of it.

I have some Marlow 11mm static military abseil line, perfect for speedlines, and not too expensive. Any Marlow dealer can get it by the reel, although the reel I bought was 100 metres, so you would have to find out if it comes in longer lengths.

16mm polyprop is not ideal, too stretchy and you'll struggle to find decent hardware to run on it. If you ran the timber on a biner or shackle instead of a pulley, it could easily get hot enough to damage the rope.

11mm is ideal as the petzl tandem pulleys will run on it nicely.

good answer same as me:thumbup: