CAD programmes

daltontrees

Hello can anyone recommed a CAD programme for general map work? I currntly have PT Mapper which only works with very limited functionality  with dxf drawings and seesm to have issues with many of the drawings I am sent by architects. I am having to convert from their dwgs to dxf using an on-line convertor which is not ideal. AutoCAD seems to be the industry leader but it is shockingly expensive if only being used occasionally, There seem to be zillions of cheap or free substitutes (some of the free ones just mean the trial version is free) and I have used LibreCAD for a while but it does not like dwgs and does not let in anything bigger than 10MB.There are so many to choose from I don't know where to start. CorelDraw, TurboCAD, Vectorworks...

41 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Hello can anyone recommed a CAD programme for general map work? I currntly have PT Mapper which only works with very limited functionality  with dxf drawings and seesm to have issues with many of the drawings I am sent by architects. I am having to convert from their dwgs to dxf using an on-line convertor which is not ideal. AutoCAD seems to be the industry leader but it is shockingly expensive if only being used occasionally, There seem to be zillions of cheap or free substitutes (some of the free ones just mean the trial version is free) and I have used LibreCAD for a while but it does not like dwgs and does not let in anything bigger than 10MB.There are so many to choose from I don't know where to start. CorelDraw, TurboCAD, Vectorworks...

It's a cartography program rather than CAD but I used Mapmaker for my maps to plot trees and make applications, I haven't used it for 20 years and it has moved on a few versions since then. You get one month free and then it reverts to a gratis version with less features. Eric  who wrote the program was helpful and Hanno of Latitude Cartography runs a forum for users.

https://mapmaker.com/v5/Map Maker 5.Pro.htm

https://www.latitudecartography.co.uk

I've used DraftSight quite a bit. I'd recommend it. A lot of the commands and interfaces are common or very similar to AutoCAD. I was working with factory layout drawings; importing/exporting, viewing and producing simple drawings. No idea what it's like for mapping work, but worth a look I reckon. There's the normal free trial version available, or you can pay for the real thing. It's not exactly cheap, but a damn sight cheaper than the extortionate AutoCAD!

WWW.DRAFTSIGHT.COM

World-class CAD software for 2D drawing and drafting. Greater performance and flexibility at the best price on the market.

DraftSight is excellent, it was created by AutoCAD competition and they gave it away free for a good while, so that is what I used to use. The commands are really just like an older version of AutoCAD, file compatibility excellent. It may be worth the money for commercial use, just too occasional for me.

• Like 1

DraftSight is excellent, it was created by AutoCAD competition and they gave it away free for a good while, so that is what I used to use. The commands are really just like an older version of AutoCAD, file compatibility excellent. It may be worth the money for commercial use, just too occasional for me.
When did they start charging for it? I thought I remembered it being completely free, though I didn't take much notice as the company sorted it.

15 hours ago, openspaceman said:

It's a cartography program rather than CAD but I used Mapmaker for my maps to plot trees and make applications, I haven't used it for 20 years and it has moved on a few versions since then. You get one month free and then it reverts to a gratis version with less features. Eric  who wrote the program was helpful and Hanno of Latitude Cartography runs a forum for users.

https://mapmaker.com/v5/Map Maker 5.Pro.htm

https://www.latitudecartography.co.uk

Thanks it looks like a good solid application, but unfortunately it would leave me witht eh same issue I have just now in that it doesn't accept .dwg files.

13 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

AutoCAD have long been the standard, largely because of those architects.

Currently run NanoCAD when I need to be AutoCAD compatible, it's very close and the free version is really free.

Interesting, thanks. Apparently doesn't support the latest vertions of .dwg drawings but I can give it a shot with a recent dwg and see whether it still works minus features or whether it doesnt' work at all.

13 hours ago, sime42 said:

I've used DraftSight quite a bit. I'd recommend it. A lot of the commands and interfaces are common or very similar to AutoCAD. I was working with factory layout drawings; importing/exporting, viewing and producing simple drawings. No idea what it's like for mapping work, but worth a look I reckon. There's the normal free trial version available, or you can pay for the real thing. It's not exactly cheap, but a damn sight cheaper than the extortionate AutoCAD!

WWW.DRAFTSIGHT.COM

World-class CAD software for 2D drawing and drafting. Greater performance and flexibility at the best price on the market.

Yes it is £150 a year and Autocad is £250 a month! I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.