Fuel-oil separation

Old WoodChip

My brother in law has a 5L can of Aspen2 it's only used in his firewood saw so it lasts a long time. I havent seen it yet so dont shoot the messenger, he said the oil has seperated from the fuel? Straight away I'm thinking has it been tipped out then back into the can and picked up water from another tank, (he said it hasnt been transferred) but that was only my first thought. Until I see it I cant be sure but has anyone noticed oil separation in the cold weather. Personally I havent seen it since the 70s with oils being much better these days. And water in Aspen, no I cant see that either.

Thanks in advance 

If it's not been decanted into another container how does he know ? You can't see through the red plastic and at 50:1 it won't be a very obvious layer. I just bought a new 5 litre yesterday and it will probably last me most of this season I'm still using the tail end of my old stuff and I've never had any separation or water problems.

19 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Just buy another bottle of it?

I just bought one for £27 delivered because i was too lazy to go get it. For that little money it's not worth even worrying about whether it's good.

I'm not worried it's not mine I was just curios and wondered if it is oil or water? All I know for sure is he gets it the same place I get mine and all containers are sealed. Last one I had I think was £18. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here is an update. After repeated attempts to see the can the fuel was in for myself, I was fobbed off so many times I come to the conclusion the container was either contaminated before aspen was tipped into it or just plain lies. It would be very difficult to see fuel separated looking down the filler hole, especially with glasses on that dont focus that close. Yes it looks like a concocted story thought up in an allotment shed out of pure boredom 🤔.

Every Aspen 5L I have had has always been 100% perfect & I have converted more that a few into using it, I will never return to pump petrol it's just too much hassle when aspen is left in all my saws for very long periods at a time and always start and run well.