Cressida Dick...

eggsarascal

Ya reckon he'd pull that stunt without consulting Patel, Johnson et al? These people speak to each other in a civilised way behind the scenes. I don't think he could pull it off on his own, no conspiracy, I just don't thinks it's possible. Wasn't Dicks contract extended by two years just recently which Khan backed?

Here you go Eggs…

APPLE.NEWS

Pair clash after Met Police commissioner Dame Cressida Dick is forced out of top job

1 hour ago, Commando said:

Here you go Eggs…

APPLE.NEWS

Pair clash after Met Police commissioner Dame Cressida Dick is forced out of top job

I may be wrong but Khan called a meeting with Dick, it was Dick's duty to tell Patel the meeting was called. She chose to fall on her sword instead. So I might have been a bit quick off the mark but if protocol had been followed the Home Secretary would have been aware, But Dick obviously didn't fancy that.

Edited by eggsarascal

On 10/02/2022 at 23:57, eggsarascal said:

Ya reckon he'd pull that stunt without consulting Patel, Johnson et al? These people speak to each other in a civilised way behind the scenes. I don't think he could pull it off on his own, no conspiracy, I just don't thinks it's possible. Wasn't Dicks contract extended by two years just recently which Khan backed?

If the Mayor withdraws his support for the Met Commissioner, her position becomes untenable. Khan was only ever luke warm about the latest incumbent. If he comes out and states publicly that he no longer has confidence in her, she has to resign. Without the express support of the Mayor, she can't continue. And that's what happened. Khan announced that he had lost confidence in her and that was that. No need for anyone to sack her (unless she clung to office and refused to go. But no one in their right mind would do that in her situation). She was appointed not elected. No need for schemes and stratagems and conspiracies or back room deals. If London's senior administrator says he can't work with his police commissioner, she's history.

WHY he lost confidence in her is another matter. He claims she had failed to tackle sexism and racism in the Met. Which is odd considering she was the most woke Commissioner ever, always more concerned with fashionable trivialities than fighting crime. Khan might have asked why she had failed to stem the tidal wave of violent crime in the capital, but such thing don't seem to overly concern the Mayor.  

With this in mind, while the means of ousting the Commissioner are clear and uncontroversial, one might reasonably ask why the Mayor really wanted to replace her, and who with. That's another question. And while the Home Secretary will appoint Dick's successor, Khan gets to vet her choice. That is where the schemes will come in. 

Edited by Gimlet