council work

billythegoat

I don't think its illegal ! .

well I do !!!!!

its public monies , clear & transparent , therefore they cannot exclude anyone , in so far as they dont belong to a club,

they can However ,, specify terms & conditions of works , but if you can match / do that,

then thats it ................. no if 's, why's, buts, or maybe's........

,,,,,,,,,they cannot do it ......... but some misguided souls seem to think they can..

A quick letter to their legal services will alter it, quick sharp

Edited by Yorkshireman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i ever get refused work because im not AA aprooved i shall seek and take legal action against any council as that is with out doubt a monopoly so far as small companies are not allowed into the AA unless you have dedicated managers office staff some one to sharpen the pencil.

We should all blow some smoke up the AA arse they piss takers at best.

And maybe the company is AA but they still only employ nptc climbers so whats the difference.

AA Arb Assasination of small decent companys.

If i ever get refused work because im not AA aprooved i shall seek and take legal action against any council as that is with out doubt a monopoly so far as small companies are not allowed into the AA unless you have dedicated managers office staff some one to sharpen the pencil.

We should all blow some smoke up the AA arse they piss takers at best.

And maybe the company is AA but they still only employ nptc climbers so whats the difference.

AA Arb Assasination of small decent companys.

Its a shame they do not put as much effort into making Arb and tree felling like the CORGI GAS registration , illegal to do or use the service of companies unless trained and registered.

if all your documentation and everything else is what the council would want then why not go AA approved

Folk keep complaining that they should not be victimised but is it not yourselves that are victimising yourselves by not been AAapproved if your good enough and fullfill all the requirements

If i was the responsible for handing out large contracts i would insist on AA approved why would I want to spend my time and effort checking all your companys when there is already a system out there

And that london contract looks like it,s a mega money contract so is it not worth been AA approved

come on boys fire away

if all your documentation and everything else is what the council would want then why not go AA approved

Folk keep complaining that they should not be victimised but is it not yourselves that are victimising yourselves by not been AAapproved if your good enough and fullfill all the requirements

Bob, you make it sound like its just a case of getting assessed, you to fail to mention the £8,000 or £9,000 it costs.

The AA also very conveniently fail to mention this to the public in their literature!!

So the punter may think you could not fulfill the criteria, when its just that you don't wish to spend loads of money to just be told something you ALREADY know!!

If i was the responsible for handing out large contracts i would insist on AA approved why would I want to spend my time and effort checking all your companys when there is already a system out there

BOB in response

point 1

If we are already upto the standards & can meet the requirements set down by the issuing authority. Why then should we have imposed on us the need to, as is being suggested in the Tender I posted, be forced into joining / paying any none regulated self appointed club. this financial burden is not something that should be placed on contractors irrespective of whether or not they can afford it.

2nd point

Why should we not complain about a pre exclusive condition that is not permissible...

I don’t see not being an arb approved contractor as being a bad thing, in fact to the contrary, companies can & do achieve very good & sustainable standards, without any intervention from external sources.

Why do I think this, they remain independent with free choice. They aren’t bound to having daft rules imposed on them I.e. all their tie wraps must bound in bundles with the fixing end all at the same side.

they direct their company as they see fit, to suit their commercial operation and client profile. & save a significant sum of money.

3rd point

if you were in that position, Handing out large contracts

you must satisfy yourself (statutory duty of care ) that the company are fit for purpose & meet the specifications & standards set down in the PQQ & tender document & within legislation. Further more that you are spending the public purse within the guidelines set down re Best value, you DO NOT mitigate your responsibility by importing an assessment criteria, that is set by a using a none regulated or mandated club.

There are good & bad AA aproved companys that we can all bring to the discussion, some that really dont meet up with the standards many none approved companies deliver, so wheres the value in dumbing down ?

along with some that well .... thats for another discussion.

So if thats the standard that the council / La want then the bloke YOU who engages them is on a hiding to nothing & if you did insist on an AA inclusion only clause & it affected my business, you'd very quickly get to know me & my legal representative.

are those sought of reasons enough for you !!!!!!!

Iain

I have been AA approved (89 -92) and have no interest in ever returning to the fold.

It costs a fortune to get approved, but once approved you have to pay each year to go in the booklet. If you do not pay you're no longer approved.

During the AA visits the questions asked are stupid. most of which have already been covered on here. One that I remember whilst looking at a cherry. Can you ID this tree? yes Prunus spp. Yes but what cultivar? Don't have a clue. Well if you look at the flowers etc, etc. I stated that I was applying to be an approved contractor Not consultant.

At the time we were also Sthil and Husky dealers with a shop the lot. And what spares do you carry for your machines? Well Mr inspector if you open your eyes you will see we have about £175k in spares,new saws,chippers,grinders,etc.

At the time 4 companies within 10 miles were all going for approval, not one passed. Reasons such as, reflector lense missing off chipper, must split shop/yard and contracting, not enough office cover.

All 4 companies are still running. One is probably the biggest in the county,one sold out to a national company, another added a sawmill and the other is doing very well tks.lol.

It's been said loads of times,That when the AA actually do something worthwhile that would benefit contractors, many more would join. It's time we had our own Association, we need some peeps to start TREE Workers action team, Then we could call ourselves

****'s for short. LOL

That’s a huge sum for a scheme like this.

I have just had a breeze through the APP contractor paperwork (V. 6.1) and I can’t see how compliance could possibly run to that kind of figure.

That kind of money is ISO compliance territory.

Andy

Regardless of cost.. its the implication of necessity of their approval to be included or lack means your excluded that matters here.

I just wonder how or why this particular La has come to be pro the AA at the exclution of any other criteria/standard

Mmmmmmmmmmm now lets think !!!!

I wonder why the AA are going for Iso accreditation, could it be that it supersedes there standard ????????

All that glitters isn’t always gold

not be fooled boys & girls,,, Do your own research,