log scribing (cabin build)

logz2lumber@gmail.com

Cheers Eggs! 

I was not sure if he was a member here, or a pal or something. I guess I should have googled it. [emoji3] 

He runs various different courses from his house that was on the early series of grand designs
Have a look through his various books Andy.
There’s probably a lot you would be interested in.
You’ll find his house build on YouTube I expect. Amazing how quickly these things look old but I’m guessing he built it 20 years ago.
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, lux said:

He runs various different courses from his house that was on the early series of grand designs
Have a look through his various books Andy.
There’s probably a lot you would be interested in.
You’ll find his house build on YouTube I expect. Amazing how quickly these things look old but I’m guessing he built it 20 years ago.

Cheers, I will do. :)

Some light reading to pass the time off-shore. :D 

Cheers, I will do. [emoji4]

Some light reading to pass the time off-shore. [emoji3] 

I took a load of pictures during the process of building a cruck frame for a new barn at his place.
Wiley old fox got the course to build his new barn [emoji23]
I went back a few weeks later to help lift the cruck frame.
If it’s of interest Drop me a dm and I’ll send some over. I’m sure I took pictures of the scribing process that I probably still have.

There are links on his web site as to where you can buy the scribes etc too.

It was an enjoyable course. My good lady got me the course as a present. Very nice it was too. ! Luckily it’s only 15 mins from our place.

• Like 2

Just now, lux said:

I took a load of pictures during the process of building a cruck frame for a new barn at his place.
Wiley old fox got the course to build his new barn emoji23.png
I went back a few weeks later to help lift the cruck frame.
If it’s of interest Drop me a dm and I’ll send some over. I’m sure I took pictures of the scribing process that I probably still have.

There are links on his web site as to where you can buy the scribes etc too.

It was an enjoyable course. My good lady got me the course as a present. Very nice it was too. ! Luckily it’s only 15 mins from our place.

I'll drop you a PM then, thanks. :)

I like the idea of a course, but reading up on it it seems very protracted and suited to someone just looking for a weeks holiday. Im clearly wrong since you did it and obviously found it worthwhile. 

Id like to do a Timber Framing course as well.

I'll drop you a PM then, thanks. [emoji4]

I like the idea of a course, but reading up on it it seems very protracted and suited to someone just looking for a weeks holiday. Im clearly wrong since you did it and obviously found it worthwhile. 

Id like to do a Timber Framing course as well.

Mine was a gift. Would I of chosen to do it. No probably not.
Did I enjoy it and learn things. Definitely. Very enjoyable and interesting.
I’m lucky being so close that it was just a week off work doing something really enjoyable.

Mostly there are people on the course who were looking to build off grid or be very eco etc etc.
Most of them camped or stayed nearby.

I may well build a cruck frame open barn for milling or tractor in the future at home. As it is we are 80 percent the way through our self build which couldn’t be more modern so it may be a while before an open barn goes up ! [emoji23]

Timber framing is a far more complicated and in depth subject than scribing logs for a cabin..
I do a fair bit of timber framing and consider myself very under skilled in the big picture of what framing can be.
I watch videos of the old boys framing and can see I have a lot to learn.
I have dabbled in log cabin style scribing on the rear wall of a very small cruck frame shed and although I'm not saying it's simple, for someone with carpentry knowledge and the ability to read, the whole process is easily Enough self taught compared to the world of framing.

4 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

Timber framing is a far more complicated and in depth subject than scribing logs for a cabin..
I do a fair bit of timber framing and consider myself very under skilled in the big picture of what framing can be.
I watch videos of the old boys framing and can see I have a lot to learn.
I have dabbled in log cabin style scribing on the rear wall of a very small cruck frame shed and although I'm not saying it's simple, for someone with carpentry knowledge and the ability to read, the whole process is easily Enough self taught compared to the world of framing.

’d just like to get started really. Just as a hobby and to do a few bits and bobs around the yard. Watched loads of vids but yet to find the time to make a start. For me a weeks intense course on Timber Framing would be ideal. I know there’s courses in England. 

I’ve downloaded plans for a simple three sided barn that I’ll use for drying slabs. Hopefully start that next summer.

24 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

’d just like to get started really. Just as a hobby and to do a few bits and bobs around the yard. Watched loads of vids but yet to find the time to make a start. For me a weeks intense course on Timber Framing would be ideal. I know there’s courses in England. 

I’ve downloaded plans for a simple three sided barn that I’ll use for drying slabs. Hopefully start that next summer.

If I owned a saw mill I would certainly be going down the timber framing route rather than log scribing, especially having access to decent saw log.

I think theres potentially a reasonable sized market for pre made/self assembly framing kits. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

If I owned a saw mill I would certainly be going down the timber framing route rather than log scribing, especially having access to decent saw log.

I think theres potentially a reasonable sized market for pre made/self assembly framing kits. 

Yes, I most likely will be. Ive cut the oak for my Porch and made a start in the timber for the drying barn. Would just be nice to know how to scribe and maybe even make a small hut/cabin one day. So little time, so many things I wanna try out and do before Im to old.

If I ever get to be in a position to buy some land/forest I think Id go the Scribe route. But I'll see how the cabin comes out with the Log Moulder first.