New type Stihl oil caps

porky

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't locate the cap correctly and turn it, you will then have to turn the cap back to its original position before trying to locate it correctly again.

I am truly amazed that some people cannot use these simple caps.

I think you've been using oil caps that don't have the problem people are talking about. I'm sure there are plenty that work just as intended. There are also many that are faulty. It's not a matter of putting them in right. It's that two parts of the cap come loose from each other and prevent the cap from locking. You then have to fiddle around with the cap to get it back into working order.

In your pic's the top 2 are the same as each other, the next 2 just have the oil caps different to the other 2, but the same as each other, hardly a massive difference.

I have had NO problem with these caps at all and love them!!!!!!!!!

I agree that the caps on the MS 200T and the MS 260 located the same, but there still is a difference between the angles of the oil resp. petrol caps. And I see NO REASON why this is so.

And there is no denying that many people have problems with some oil caps. And I find it a bit arrogant to claim that there is no problem with the oil caps. Not all caps exhibit the problem, but some clearly do. And Stihl should fix the design and/or manufacturing/quality problem no matter what, if they want to keep their otherwise good reputation.

Edited by morten

I think you've been using oil caps that don't have the problem people are talking about. I'm sure there are plenty that work just as intended. There are also many that are faulty. It's not a matter of putting them in right. It's that two parts of the cap come loose from each other and prevent the cap from locking. You then have to fiddle around with the cap to get it back into working order.

:001_rolleyes:The are loose from each other thats how they work!!!!!!

I really cannot believe this???:confused1::001_rolleyes:

:001_rolleyes:The are loose from each other thats how they work!!!!!!

I really cannot believe this???:confused1::001_rolleyes:

same!!!

i dont have a problem with they! having said that i havent used the ones on a 200t, but use them on the 260's, 361's, 440's, and a 460 and dont see how they are a fiddle to shut?

I did have a dodgey on the 361 which had bent and didnt shut properly, but thats probably from being thrown about

they are good caps!

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance of Stihl seeing this thread & offering its thoughts?

I wrote to Stihl's public relations dept, with a reference to this thread, and I have just received an email from Stihl on the issue (see below)

Stihl clearly acknowledges, that they have had (and still has) a problem with the twist-lock oil caps, and they are "working ... for a solution". Good on them!

Date: 9 March 2010 10:38

Subject: RE: Arborist forum discussion about possible design problem with the twist-lock oil caps on Stihl Saws

To: [email protected]

Cc: [email protected]

Dear Morten

Thanks for your information

We do have a problem when overfilling the oil tank. Two years ago we made a first model enhancement to reduce the problem (we made holes in the "cap", so the oil can go through the holes before the cap is closed), knowing now that the problem is not 100% gone. We are still working with priority for a solution having best and easiest comfort.

To solve the problem you can use our filling system for chain oil. The system stops the oil before the tank is overfilled.

In comparison to our older caps we see a lot of advantages for the customer, so we do want to keep the caps.

The different angle is coming from the different positions of the handle bars and the design of the saws. It was not possible to have for all saws the same position.

Kind regards

Martin Schif

Product Manager Chainsaws

ANDREAS STIHL AG & Co. KG