Arb-Mycota what do you want from books?

I don't think there is a massive void in the market Tony. There are just a handful of genera that are actually significant on trees in the UK - and they are well catered for in the literature.

It isnt that simple though is it tony, there are fungi missing in books, little info on pholiotas effects on trees etc etc etc

photos in books bear little resemblance sometimes to those you find

and some of the info is not "acurate"

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the lack of significance attatched to Pholiota aurivella?

often forming cavities, and can be found high in the canopy of fagus.

The lack of details on Perenniporia fraxinea

Arbs on here seem to think there is a void, and the void is a book that is practical FOR THEM, not the lab technician etc.

There is also a problem when Identifying fungi in the common litreture it is iether based on a purely mycological standpoint and includes as many species as possible, like Jordans encyc or is basic and limited in content and photgraphic information like principles and diagnosis of ill health in trees.

NONE of the books will tell you if the fungi you have on your tree is protected by BAP or red data lists, information that is critical to us because we care about this stuff and would like to alter what we do to cater for these endangered and rare species.

Then theres the Mycorrhizal fungi, there pressence or lack of can have massive implications in tree health or decline, and with a better understanding we may one day be able to biomanipulate the root zone as a means of protection against the "critical fungi" like armilarria collybia and pholliota.

Missed this one yesterday. Great idea, field guide, identification photos essential with easy reference for initial ID. Leading the reader onwards into the reference with more detailed information, including treatment, how real a threat to the tree its on or adjacent. Photo's of cross sections of felled timber if available. Wipe proof paper, ring bound for ease of folding back. There.s other relevant info also I am sure, but ID is always the starting point and the most critical. RM Print and Design sent us a flyer with our business card - they are on the forum somewhere. It might not cost that much to produce, the work,s in the information gathering and copy. Electronic/Disc format would do away with the production issues and would make it easy to keep up to date, with users simply printing it out and producing it in whatever format they prefer.

I do think a charge would be totally acceptable.

Electronic format,mmm it does seem sensible, and ecologicaly sound too.

A charge? defo, this will require a lot of time and effort, got to at least cover the tools I need to do this justice!

I was thinking rigid and wipe clean ident pages in a bound (spiral) type scenario, for longevity in the field

Electronic format,mmm it does seem sensible, and ecologicaly sound too.

A charge? defo, this will require a lot of time and effort, got to at least cover the tools I need to do this justice!

I was thinking rigid and wipe clean ident pages in a bound (spiral) type scenario, for longevity in the field

Firstly well done for being willing to put your head above the parapet.

I think it s a fantastic project. The field guide idea would be beneficial to me. I agree there is a need. There are books on whether fungi are edible or not but your brief sounds very interesting.

Firstly well done for being willing to put your head above the parapet.I think it s a fantastic project. The field guide idea would be beneficial to me. I agree there is a need. There are books on whether fungi are edible or not but your brief sounds very interesting.

of course there is the distinct posibility i make a complete arse of myself!

The hardest thing I found when starting on this journey was the images in the books, 1 image is next to useless, It may well be a perfect photo of the genus in perfect or classic pose and form but fungi are so varied in shape colour and form within thier own genus and individual species. I dont know how I am going to include enough images to do it but i want to show them in all thier peculiar differences and in dessicated and aged form.

Some fungi have certain characteristics that can be usefull for identifying them long after fruiting. i dont think there is a need to find if a tree has an infection before fruiting, this isnt required in the proscess of tree inspection and should not ever be considered needed. There are however detective signals that indicate the possibility and these need carefull representation.

I think an Id guide with the fungis arboricutlural significance would be fantastic. Perhaps you could have a limited number of photos in the book but have a website with further image galleries and articles that enthusiasts could add to.

You could try to get together with one of the authors of a fungi book already in print and create a new edition with a more complete Species list and information of particular interest to Arbs?