Arb-Mycota what do you want from books?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isnt that simple though is it tony, there are fungi missing in books, little info on pholiotas effects on trees etc etc etc

photos in books bear little resemblance sometimes to those you find

and some of the info is not "acurate"

And 6 months after publication, neither will yours be...

How about the lack of significance attatched to Pholiota aurivella?

often forming cavities, and can be found high in the canopy of fagus.

The lack of details on Perenniporia fraxinea

Arbs on here seem to think there is a void, and the void is a book that is practical FOR THEM, not the lab technician etc.

There is also a problem when Identifying fungi in the common litreture it is iether based on a purely mycological standpoint and includes as many species as possible, like Jordans encyc or is basic and limited in content and photgraphic information like principles and diagnosis of ill health in trees.

Given the increasing availability of mobile internet - an ever updating modern reference system will be web based. Not in a wipe clean ring binder. Indeed, Web 2.0 functionality allows you to post you images (regardless of condition etc) and have feedback and explore significance directly.

Perhaps something like Arbtalk?

NONE of the books will tell you if the fungi you have on your tree is protected by BAP or red data lists, information that is critical to us because we care about this stuff and would like to alter what we do to cater for these endangered and rare species.

Nope, that's because those lists change. Not too many significant decay fungi in those list last time I checked... :D

Then theres the Mycorrhizal fungi, there pressence or lack of can have massive implications in tree health or decline, and with a better understanding we may one day be able to biomanipulate the root zone as a means of protection against the "critical fungi" like armilarria collybia and pholliota.

And how on earth would you suggest readers assess the mycorrhizae associations from fruiting bodies - or lack of them? Esp. in a group of trees?

And 6 months after publication, neither will yours be...

Oh well, guess I should bother huh?

Given the increasing availability of mobile internet - an ever updating modern reference system will be web based. Not in a wipe clean ring binder. Indeed, Web 2.0 functionality allows you to post you images (regardless of condition etc) and have feedback and explore significance directly.

Perhaps something like Arbtalk?

with G. lucidum, P. tuberaster etc wrongly Identified? too missleading dont you think, your as guilty as anyone!

Nope, that's because those lists change. Not too many significant decay fungi in those list last time I checked... :D

Piptoporus quercinus? maybe others? Hericiums? many of the toothed fungi?

And how on earth would you suggest readers assess the mycorrhizae associations from fruiting bodies - or lack of them? Esp. in a group of trees?

it wouldnt matter if the fruit bodies where present in a group of trees you would know that these trees have protection against pathogens etc that the soil rootzone is in good health etc

• 1 year later...
I think an Id guide with the fungis arboricutlural significance would be fantastic. Perhaps you could have a limited number of photos in the book but have a website with further image galleries and articles that enthusiasts could add to.

You could try to get together with one of the authors of a fungi book already in print and create a new edition with a more complete Species list and information of particular interest to Arbs?

some good points here phenom, after much thought about it im going to provide a cd with the book for images and a related section on my website for updates and more examples of same fruiting.

getting a few others involved is an essential, if nothing else it will show I am not alone in many views i have on decays.

im going to do a separate ring bound fungi implications ident booklet that can be carried is durable and will enable the best possible on site option. maybe available separately from the main txt book or with a small discount as a bundle with main book, interactive cd will come free with both.

now finaly, i will be approaching some named folk to contribute to this because they all have invaluable stuff to add to this volume what i am curious to know is of all the people who you have read on this subject who would you most like to hear more from?

Nice one for getting the ball rolling Tony! Sounds like a good project, best of luck to you.

Have you though about asking someone to write you an iphone/android app for this? I know I would pay for such a resource - easy to update down the line too.

Its an idea for sure, would not know where to start, maybe i will contact apple directly.:001_cool:

Tree fungus in the world book. Cool!

For me, Something I am already familiar with like a Tree ID Book. For the professional and amateur.

Identification and prominent characteristics.

Photographs/Drawings at times are better

Culturing. If I can promote or advocate the use of fungi in the landscape as an ornamental, all the better! It has happened a few times so why not more.

Fungal terms

Divided into Groups and Identification Key

Small enought you do not mind carrying it into the field but substantial so it can be passed on to the next generation

Tree fungus in the world book. Cool!

For me, Something I am already familiar with like a Tree ID Book. For the professional and amateur.

Identification and prominent characteristics.

Photographs/Drawings at times are better

Culturing. If I can promote or advocate the use of fungi in the landscape as an ornamental, all the better! It has happened a few times so why not more.

Fungal terms

Divided into Groups and Identification Key

Small enought you do not mind carrying it into the field but substantial so it can be passed on to the next generation

ropenight- elaborate on the landscape and culturing perspective, are you suggesting having fungi as an ornamental feature of the wooded landscape?

intersting perspective, and many fungi are truly of value in this vien:001_cool:

Best idea I've seen in a long time Hama. Put me down for a copy in whatever format you come up with. Maybe you could get a thread stickied when you start, where we could give you a hand collecting photos of different fungi, cross sections of decay etc. or anything else you may be having trouble locating. Save some of the legwork, and help it along.

Have looked for a book like this numerous times in the past without any luck.