Grow Scot Pine in Hard Chalky Ground

tree_stumps

52 minutes ago, tree_stumps said:

Many Thanks for the reply. Is there any other species of Pine that will survive the Chalk? 

Most of tree rooting is up to 600mm depth,   of which you seem to have  good soil- then chalk occurs - if yr keeping the tree small, should not be a worry. Mulch well to balance soil moisture through  summer. K

13 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Most of tree rooting is up to 600mm depth,   of which you seem to have  good soil- then chalk occurs - if yr keeping the tree small, should not be a worry. Mulch well to balance soil moisture through  summer. K

easy enough to check the soil pH with a test kit. Also iron sulphate will drop the Ph  if you keep an eye on the level regularly.

Hello All, So many Thanks for the quick suggestions. I feel encouraged with solutions provided so far.

Its true that I want to keep the tree small say about 5 metre with trunk bending half way up and the foliage spreading out on upper portions of the tree, shading my drive way as well.

At the spot where I want the tree, the ground level declines and is bordered by a small wall. I have dug out a hole about 80 cm deep and 60 cm diameter.

What is best soil/compost to fill this hole with for the Scot pine t thrive well? I have to consider that the soil/compost should be heavy enough otherwise the tree may tip over and pop out on a stormy day.

Edited by tree_stumps

I worked in areas of Wiltshire in the past where Scots Pine was planted as nurse for beech as Openspaceman described and the pine had not been removed, once the roots hit the chalk the pine basically stopped growing and looked unhealthy whereas the beech kept on growing well  … chalk and limestone should be avoided unless Scots pine is to be used as a nurse. Australian Pine and Corsican Pine will tolerate chalk and limestone as will Western Red Cedar. 

Edited by Vedhoggar
  • Like 1

On 03/10/2021 at 21:26, tree_stumps said:

Hello All, So many Thanks for the quick suggestions. I feel encouraged with solutions provided so far.

Its true that I want to keep the tree small say about 5 metre with trunk bending half way up and the foliage spreading out on upper portions of the tree, shading my drive way as well.

At the spot where I want the tree, the ground level declines and is bordered by a small wall. I have dug out a hole about 80 cm deep and 60 cm diameter.

What is best soil/compost to fill this hole with for the Scot pine t thrive well? I have to consider that the soil/compost should be heavy enough otherwise the tree may tip over and pop out on a stormy day.

Just look at the size of soil pits used in urban planting in surfaced areas of development sites often 3ft deep and 15ft diameter for "forest" species.

As to rooting depth this is a picture of a 25 year old thorn I have just pulled up from my garden, ignore the ivy that came up too.

crataegus.thumb.jpeg.7effac088c58333ecfd176dba2981543.jpeg

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Just look at the size of soil pits used in urban planting in surfaced areas of development sites often 3ft deep and 15ft diameter for "forest" species.

As to rooting depth this is a picture of a 25 year old thorn I have just pulled up from my garden, ignore the ivy that came up too.

Thanks for the reply. Agree. I have been thinking of placing a large wooden planter in the hole I have dug up. The hole is 60cm wide and 80 cm deep. 

Was that a Blackthorn or Firethorn that you dug out?