What is this please....

RHS says

Details H. hibernica is a vigorous large evergreen climber

Wikipeadia says hibernica is

It is an evergreen climbing plant, growing to 20–30 m high where suitable surfaces (trees, cliffs, walls) are available

But says doesn't climb here also: ( Best info could find on it is here)

https://archive.bsbi.org.uk/Wats18p7.pdf

Its rapid growth, large and uniform leaves, hardiness, shade
tolerance and lack of inclination to climb make it a landscape architect's ideal subject for planting
beneath trees and shrubs and for stabilising steep slopes

Confusing......

EDIT: Seems from that paper the wild hibernica climbs the horticultural nusery version doesn't as much , and im guessing the extra vigour of the irish maybe  coz its like a bramley has extra chromosomes - ploidy vigour

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

I don’t think so, the leaves don’t change, the plant starts putting out different leaves at some point.

Maybe when it gets to a rooftop or somewhere it gets unfettered access to light.

The smaller leaf type on that stem was underneath the mess, the larger leaf on top, if you see what I mean.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I don’t think so, the leaves don’t change, the plant starts putting out different leaves at some point.

Maybe when it gets to a rooftop or somewhere it gets unfettered access to light.

The smaller leaf type on that stem was underneath the mess, the larger leaf on top, if you see what I mean.

I thought it just changed shape ( the leaf that is ) once it went from ground cover to climbing .

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Very interesting comments here so far. I am concerned that we could be inadvertently watching a slow car crash as we discuss this. Very little attention is paid to invasive ivy in our uk countryside. The correct species must be identified as so much confusing comment exists online from admittedly non-experts. And even some experts. The height of ivy growth on countryside trees rises every year to the point that trees can no longer withstand higher wind speeds. If not tackled as a matter of urgency then we can say goodbye to vast numbers of trees. This is now serious and needs professional consideration and action. Do you agree?

6F736E7C-4223-471C-9307-AAE67811DADD.jpeg

E8AEAD3D-CD47-48FE-8E78-B97C3A4931E8.jpeg

282F4FE1-91A9-4DCC-9C63-8BFEBB3BF94F.jpeg

I've heard some say that excess weight make trees top heavy in winter storms and ivy can compete for tree's soil nutrients.

But ivy is not dense and has poor roots.

In the woods, if ivy is up to a tree's top, smothering the crown so much, the tree can't get its own then I will cut it. Otherwise, ivy is a good habitat for wildlife.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 15:56, Mick Dempsey said:

Hi Mick. This is good strong evidence that a single plant can sprout alternative leaf shape. Very convincing. And new information to me at least. 
There is huge confusion and contradictory information online and especially when referring to google results as a source. We cannot believe everything that others say. That’s why I am keen to ask true expert for hard knowledge. Both field workers and plant research scientists. 
I have yet to find such a branch with both leaf shapes myself and will now definitely renew my efforts. Thanks. 

Good input. As you seem to work in this business could I perhaps ask for some help to get more observations on this issue? Someone needs to get fully up to date with this issue for the sake of clarity. Can you maybe agree with me on this point?