How to approach this ash

Slad

(Putting this in the Training section as I'm new to all this - please move if it's in the wrong place)

Came home last night to find an ash in this state.  No wind, no lightening.  Guessing dieback? (never been close to a tree with dieback before).   Two split branchesAsh1.thumb.jpg.ae9b73d84c4297c2da9b89635c34b5fc.jpg.

I wouldn't climb this (and my course isn't for a few weeks anyway); any thoughts on the best approach to dropping this?  Power cable is some way off, ash at top of hill.  Was thinking of dropping it across the slope to the left as there is plenty of room and the hanging branch is on that side anyway.

Ash2.jpg

Edited by Slad

Cut the piece up what’s split off Put a ladder up  🪜 tie a pull rope on it get a friend to give you a weight.  you could probably cut some of the weight off the back of it to. and then fell it on top of the piece what broke off. That would be my approach. Cheers 🍻 👍 

• Like 1

I can't really leave it - the powerline is just out of reach, but there is a house at the bottom of the slope and they'd probably appreciate it being moved. 

Thanks Patrick, I have a 8m ladder so that's definitely an option.

Update - the fallen "branch" is actually an uprooted ash.  The standing ash has been damaged by it.  Slight lean to the left of the picture (and where all the weight is).  The tree is in a steep slope so the ground on the downhill side is much lower than the uphill side (so awkward to cut, and a dangling branch up above).

Does that change things?

I shouldn’t think so if you cut the branch off whats caught up while you put your pull rope up in the tree to get it out of the way make sure your pull rope is at a good height so you can get the right angle 📐 on the rope and then get your self comfortable to put your face cut in to get the right direction and then get comfortable to make your back cut and just tap a felling wedge into the back to stop it leaning back. Get a  couple of friend to just put a lean on the rope you should be fine. 👍 

Thank you everyone - every day is a school day!  Dropped the tree as recommended - many thanks everyone. 

Learnt a couple of things:

A new chain is so much better than a re-sharpened one (I'm not good at this it turns out)

I need a bigger bar

You end up with an 8 inch hinge if your ash has rot in it

Thanks - great forum :)

• Like 2