Cheap domestic chippers - avoid?

J@mesC

23 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I'm seriously considering abandoning 6" chipper ownership and moving back to a better brand of wee chippette and renting a 6" when required after negociating a deal with a local hire firm.

Stuart

try a second hand jensen 530, simple enough machines , kubota diesel engine, and reliable.

i wouldnt fancy shoving stuff through a small machine daily ( not tried one mind)

1 hour ago, carlos said:

try a second hand jensen 530, simple enough machines , kubota diesel engine, and reliable.

i wouldnt fancy shoving stuff through a small machine daily ( not tried one mind)

Can you push a jensen around a back garden through a narrow gate way?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:
1 hour ago, PeteB said:
Can you push a jensen around a back garden through a narrow gate way?

Get an M500, pushes itself.

Technically,  it pulls itself but that is semantics.  Good tool, love the detachable fuel tank etc,  but will it go through a 32" gate? The smaller units do gave there place. 

Technically,  it pulls itself but that is semantics.  Good tool, love the detachable fuel tank etc,  but will it go through a 32" gate? The smaller units do gave there place. 

Yep, spec 720mm which is about 28 1/2" so all normal gates.

Absolutely agree, I'm a big fan of putting the chipper near the tree.

I asked for a quote for an T500 last week but Jo-Beau also sent me one for an M500.
M500 €15k inc tva (£10'900 plus vat)
T500 €9k inc tva

Stuart

Agree, the only problem with M500 is the price, and there aren't many around second hand. I was lucky and found one for just under £3k, it's tatty but chips like a goodun. On its second engine, new drum bearings, not much else to it.

I saw TW 150s for £3-5k and just thought about how much more there is to go wrong.

I don't think it's bonkers to forgo the 6", but depends what your mix of work is. I'm mostly doing small removals and pruning with it which it is excellent for, 2 or 3 man teams. Also means I can run a tipper trailer and so have decent payload because even with the chipper on I can load 2 tonnes of wood at the end a job.
  • Like 1