Barber Chair

gobbypunk

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

Searched without any luck.

Like this?
IMG_1619126313.269638.jpg

Aye pretty much.

U don't want the front v to be over steep ( I just do them 3 to 6" fall but I'm no expert on them) and want them to meet or ideally cross inline with here u want tree to fall.

Really the Vancouver v and coos bay are the same principle in reverse, if u leave a triangle shaped hinge it doesn't barbers chair.

I have got a photo in my phone if I can figure out how to work it.

• Like 1

A long way off text book.

The 2 cuts at front should off met up far tidier. And back cut should off met up with them

But quite an awkward situation.

Right on edge off a deep ditch and quite a big heavy oak limb with a lot off lean on it.

Despite how ruff and ready worked perfectly

20210106_143235.jpg

20210106_143244.jpg

• Like 1

Prob not a photo i should be posting, but thats why cut so ruff.

Not the safest hieght to be working a biggish saw. Definitely couldn't of stuck a gub in and bored with any accuracy. 

But it made the felling cut safer as natural escape routes where over a wide and deep ditch. The oak had a right wide crown otherwise 

20210106_143300.jpg

The ‘V’ cut is taught in the basic CS31, for use in small diameter timber, under 8”.

The Scandinavians use it to fell larger, heavy leaning trees, especially when the temperature  is -20’s and hinges don’t function as well as usual.

It should look like an equilateral triangle when cut right.

• Like 1

Must admit never tried it in sycamore but I only really use it in trees where for some reason not safe/bad access to front of tree esp if big enough to need to cut gub from both sides and bore gub.

Normally my go to for leaning tree would be a dogs tooth or if too small a bigger gub and gun it, if u think u can.

Mibbee be worth trying it in a smaller tree 1st, less forces involved if it goes wrong

As long as ur felling it direction of lean, and if no targets about to damage u could give it a shot.

Like u say a sycamore hinge is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard anyway.

With that oak ideally I wouldn't off chose to do the v cut with such a big limb, but it was so high off the ground no way I would have any good control of saw to control hinge or strap

Being honest in hindsight it reallly wasn't safe , even by my standards but it was a safer option than dogs tooth at that hieght or felling with that limb still attached and poor escape routes.. Getting a skidder in was never going to happen with that firm

Have used it a few other times and worked well but just never had phone with me,

Not a go to cut but handy to know.

I mind doing a truly horfible edge Norway with it, right on edge off a 6ft vertical banking bent like a banana and really leaning and hairy,  must of been getting near to 3ft at butt

Only going 1 way but I only had my 15" bar with me as brashing and u just couldn't access the front safely to to gub and bore hinge.

Again worked really well and nice slow release giving u time to GTF.

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I can do this Syc with a conventional cut and it has a good escape route just fancy adding another string to my bow. Think I'll give it a try and report back as it is an easy one to learn on.

If the voices in my head say something different on saturday morning then I'll just do the usual big face and and gun it on the back cut. Shame Syc has such a shitty hinge as otherwise I think it makes the perfect fire wood !

Must admit if it was as big as that oak limb I'd be dog toothing it that limb would be about 20".

The. V would be safer than a big gub in timber as big as that, esp sycamore. Unless u ratchet straped it, but even then u'll prob nip ur bar putting a big enough gub in. 

Get away with murder cuting softwoods and birch as generally don't chair that easily.

Good to play about with other cuts when u had loads of room and safe even it it goes dramatically wrong.

• Like 1

I would certainly be doing a Dogs Tooth Cut over a ‘V’ cut in Sycamore.
If you don’t cut the ‘V’ cut at the correct angles you get limited control over the direction.
Second that, on my CS31 the V cut demonstration turned into the hung up tree demonstration as it went exactly where it felt like. Still, got it down and passed both bits.
  • Like 1