ground anchors for oak stems

treesnakey

I'm a little lost as for what we're trying to achieve? If it's to stop them rolling on a hill then some fence posts bopped into the ground will stop them rolling if you want to put them horizontally. 

If you want it done as an anti-theft thing then either fit a metal strip to the top or sides to make it obvious they aren't just left there or you can buy a big bag of long nails and hammer those in at an angle up/down the trunk so if you go at it with a chainsaw you end up hitting a nail and ruining a chain. They would give up straight away if they hit metal, especially some hefty nails

33 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I'm a little lost as for what we're trying to achieve? If it's to stop them rolling on a hill then some fence posts bopped into the ground will stop them rolling if you want to put them horizontally. 

If you want it done as an anti-theft thing then either fit a metal strip to the top or sides to make it obvious they aren't just left there or you can buy a big bag of long nails and hammer those in at an angle up/down the trunk so if you go at it with a chainsaw you end up hitting a nail and ruining a chain. They would give up straight away if they hit metal, especially some hefty nails

its for biodiversity on a council estate, basically i dont want them to be able to roll for health and safety reasons.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treesnakey said:

its for biodiversity on a council estate, basically i dont want them to be able to roll for health and safety reasons.  

Ahhh okay! I would go for fence posts. If you get 4 fence posts per log (round ones would look best) then bop those in as far as you can get them and chop what's left off. Best way to keep them from rolling and would look clean too. 

2 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Anyone with a chainsaw mill would do it in the time it would take to put 4 fenceposts in the ground far enough to achieve what you want, and it would look a lot better. 

The heartwood on an oak log is likely to last a lot longer than a modern fencepost. That means a long-term management procedure (inspections etc) whereas a flat surface on the log is permanent which may be helpful in reducing risk.

Alec

Was asked to place a length of log as a riverside seat, I used 4 fence posts to secure it but when the river flooded the log floated up and away. Replaced the log with some wire over each end stapled to the posts and that was solid.

I did consider drilling through the log and hammering rebar through holes into the ground for an anchor

Edited by Doug Tait
  • Like 1