Go lo Pro?

Alasdairs dog

27 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Imagine I drive a Hilux. I drive it over cattle grids and speed bumps without slowing down. I drive it through fords and over potholes without slowing down. Because it is a Hilux and built for that kind of thing, even though it isn't really very good for it, it takes it for so long that I don't even reach the point where it fails. However, it is quite slow and rattles a lot, so I think it would be nice to drive faster and smoother and I go out and buy a Ferrari.

I then drive my Ferrari exactly like I used to drive my Hilux and within a month it's wrecked. I have trashed the alloy wheels and suspension on the potholes and cattle grids, ripped up the underside on the speed bumps and ruined the engine by driving it through fords. I take it back to the dealer and say 'this car is useless, it's not fit to be sold'. The dealer gives me my money back and takes the loss on himself. However, I am not content to leave it at that - I want to prove to the world that Ferraris are useless and feel the dealer should advertise this fact, so I keep ringing him. The dealer does not want to sell me another Ferrari because clearly I am not going to use it as it is intended, and he only wants to sell them to people who will. He is also rather busy trying to make a living selling cars, so he doesn't really want to have more conversations with me and in the end he therefore removes me from his customer base and blocks my phone number, since I am clearly not a suitable customer and I have already cost him a lot of time and money, and there isn't really anything he can do that will make me happy.

I now need a new car, and since my old Hilux worked for me the way I (ab)used it, I go and see a Hilux dealer instead. He is only too happy to sell me a new Hilux and since I am the customer and I want to rubbish Ferraris, who is he to complain? He can nod along and agree as much as I want - after all, what is it to him, he's getting a sale.

Alec

So your saying I should stick with the lo Pro but not use it for milling because it will break but if I keep it and don't use it it will be fine. Any one on here use a ferrari for humping wood around. No I didn't think so it's not fit for purpose. Same goes for lo Pro. Not sure if your agreeing with me or not but you make my point very succinctly. I was told by Rob that the ferrari in question was up to the job. 

42 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think that’s the point, 36” bar and a smaller saw seems to be best suited to Low Pro. Anything bigger than that seems to have low of “user errors”.

Yeah unavoidable user errors but absolutely always user errors nothing at all to do with the gear. 

Basically you’ve had issues with using lo pro. Plenty on here haven’t had any issues including me using 661 & 48 inch GB bar.
Decide for yourself what that is saying when others and myself have had no issues and you have, that’s for you to work out. People have tried to give their actual experience with lo pro,and Rob, it is you who won’t listen, not others and that is your choice. “I’m convinced” “no business being used” 36inch only bla bla ... good for you that’s in your experience and opinion with it. Not everyone’s!
Stop trying to tell me and others it’s being miss-sold and doesn’t work when clearly it does and can just you can’t get it to work.
You couldn’t make it work so you complained and have subtly talked down Lo pro, GB and Rob. You got your money back because you ‘know more’ than Rob no wonder he gave you money back to get you off his case.
You now have a set up that works for you. Carry on with that and your new supplier. The rest of us will keep using Rob, GB bars and Lo Pro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alasdairs dog said:

Yeah unavoidable user errors but absolutely always user errors nothing at all to do with the gear. 

I read through this thread last night with amazement, I use GB bars and lo pro setup and have never experienced a problem and milled many a tree stump i can assure you. I think sometimes in life a man has got to know his limitations and i think you have found yours here. You use an alternative method which works for you so why keep wind bagging on about same thing.

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alasdairs dog said:

Fair point well made. Just wanted to see if other people have the same issues. Turns out some do some don't. Thank you for pointing out my limitations. 

Quite happy to correct someone if wrong.You joined the forum 3 weeks ago and just posted on this one thread and continue to argue the toss with people who have used this system for a long time without any issues. As stated do not buy a ferrari to do the job of a 4x4 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Quite happy to correct someone if wrong.You joined the forum 3 weeks ago and just posted on this one thread and continue to argue the toss with people who have used this system for a long time without any issues. As stated do not buy a ferrari to do the job of a 4x4 

Yeah I am not a forum sort of guy as you can probably tell. I just had no idea what I was doing wrong with the lo Pro stuff and thought this was the place to go for a bit of wisdom. Non specific user error is the put come. Which I'd fine. I don't treat my kit gently and ask a lot if the gear I use. Still not sure comparing lo Pro chsin to a ferrari is selling it to any one though. Thanks for putting me right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alasdairs dog said:

Yeah I am not a forum sort of guy as you can probably tell. I just had no idea what I was doing wrong with the lo Pro stuff and thought this was the place to go for a bit of wisdom. Non specific user error is the put come. Which I'd fine. I don't treat my kit gently and ask a lot if the gear I use. Still not sure comparing lo Pro chsin to a ferrari is selling it to any one though. Thanks for putting me right. 

Even the best made kit should be treated with respect. Does what it says on the tin so to speak and if the lo pro was not up to the job do you think others who mill everyday would not be finding fault with the equipment.Its a simple enough question

Just now, topchippyles said:

Even the best made kit should be treated with respect. Does what it says on the tin so to speak and if the lo pro was not up to the job do you think others who mill everyday would not be finding fault with the equipment.Its a simple enough question

Here we go again. Plenty of people are finding issues. It's not just me but I really don't think this is going anywhere and I believe I am sounding as many have pointed out like a bit of a knob. Differences of opinion are allowed. If I could work out how to delete my account I would happily leave you all to it. But I can't. Of the dozen or do people I know who use chain saw Mills for a living most would not go near lo Pro at all and off those that tried it  4 not including me have experienced issues specifically related to the lo Pro set up. If pointing that out makes me a bleating moron then so be it. But.. It is genuinely the case and I will happily accept that those who use this sort of platform to prove they know best consider us to be inexperienced feck wits. It really doesn't change the facts. 

6 hours ago, Alasdairs dog said:

So your saying I should stick with the lo Pro but not use it for milling because it will break but if I keep it and don't use it it will be fine. Any one on here use a ferrari for humping wood around. No I didn't think so it's not fit for purpose. Same goes for lo Pro. Not sure if your agreeing with me or not but you make my point very succinctly. I was told by Rob that the ferrari in question was up to the job. 

No, what I am saying is that if you treat it appropriately lo-pro works very nicely for milling, is quicker and produces a smoother finish, but if you want something you can abuse then it is not the solution for you. 'Abuse' may not be deliberate - it may be something you are doing which you do not realise is a problem. I once had a colleague who couldn't understand why her suspension kept wearing out - someone went on a test drive with her and she took all the speed bumps at 20mph because that was the speed limit so it must be OK... As an aside, the Duromatic hard-nosed bars take a significant percentage of the saw's power and heat up more. They are also far more difficult to get the tension right. The information around this subject is best found in Will Maloff's book - are you familiar with it?

If you look at the people posting on this thread, there are two who have notably negative experiences and quite a few who have positive experiences - if you want to go back through the posts and count the experience of each poster then you would get a balance but more appear to be positive than negative. I note that the person who has blown nose sprockets has relatively little experience; some of the people who have reported positive experiences have been milling for 10+ years (I bought my first Alaskan before Rob D even set up in business, in 1998). What does not help is focusing only on the people who have the same experience as you. If they have the same issues then they cannot help - it is the people who have a different experience who can help, assuming you want a solution rather than just to give an opinion (if you just want to give an opinion, you have done so, but don't expect people who have had a different experience to agree with you).

I do understand how frustrating it is when kit does not work and you can't figure out why. That does not necessarily mean the problem is the kit - if other people are not experiencing the same issues (as clearly they are not) then it is worth learning from them what it is that you are doing differently. If you want to try and figure that out, post up details of your set-up. Add photos, the type of timber, video of you milling and those of us who use it successfully should be able to indicate where the differences lie.

Alec

• Like 6