Bird Identification Please

Billhook

20 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

They're a red list species now so great that you have them. (Mistle thrush)

I do my morning bike ride 3.6 mile circuit and in the first lockdown, when there was no traffic, aircraft or humans about it seemed as though the woods and hedge rows were alive with birdsong.

This morning the traffic through the village is back to M25 levels and my wife says the town shops are similar to pre lockdown.

The result is less birdsong is to be heard

• Sad 1

Just now, the village idiot said:

Agreed.

The first lockdown was a magic time for reconnecting with the local wildlife.

Does not seem to have affected the visiting thrushes from Russia . Plenty of Fieldfairs and Redwings here .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Does not seem to have affected the visiting thrushes from Russia . Plenty of Fieldfairs and Redwings here .

Agree with you there Stubby.  Same with Woodcock coming over.

I was surprised to see Dunnock/ Hedge Sparrow on the red list as we have several here on the bird feeder.

But what do we do about it?

I can imagine the uproar if we started to shoot Sparrow Hawks, Jays, Carrions, Magpies, Stoats, Weasels, Squirrels cats, but just think what a poor garden bird has to go through to produce enough young to survive.  I suspect domestic cats have a role as well as rats , oh I left out Jackdaws and of course the dreaded Humans!

5 minutes ago, Billhook said:

But what do we do about it?

Creating more habitat for them and protecting the habitat they already have is probably the best remedy.

I'm cautiously optimistic with all the talk on natural capital, biodiversity net gain and the new ELMS scheme slowly morphing into mandated action.

• Like 1

100% Mistle Thrush, no warblers are singing at this point in the year and only Blackcap and Chiffchaff overwinter.

If you think about it its sounds like a Blackbird, not as melodic but has that deep, thrushlike chucking qaulity, they sing in all weather and the old name for them was the Stormcock.

In terms of Redwings and Fieldfares we have poor numbers here in the North West, most birds didnt come across in any numbers and were locked up on the East coast

If anyone is interested, below is a breeding Bird survey from the woodland I manage.

We have progressed from a dark sterile wood to a thriving bird habitat in just a few years, including 5 red listed species.

"Build it and they will come"

Raydon Great Wood Breeding Bird Survey 2020 - FINAL2 05.10.2020.pdf

• Like 3

Just been down to the woods where my colleague was working and we heard the call again, completely non directional and we looked and looked but could see no bird

Just turned around to start work again when the Mistle Thrush flew straight over a tree near us singing the whole way in mid flight!  As if to say “I wos just ‘avin a larf , gotcha fooled though didn’t I!“

• Like 2