Turning two phase mains into three phase

Squaredy

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Gave just do as gobby said and phone Pete at Transwave Converters which is all these guys do.They will make a bespoke unit up to run on via your 2 phase supply to maximise 3 phase output.My rotary converter came from there.10 minute phone call will answer your question.

I have spoken to two firms who supply inverters/converters.  Drives Direct suggested a digital converter costing nearly £10,000.

Transwave suggested a 30HP rotary converter which costs £3000 or so.  This was the option I was going to go for but I needed to take advice as this does not produce true three phase like a genny would, and it seems that there might be much simpler and cheaper options as I already have two phases!

Which rotary converter did you go for and how is it?

47 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I have spoken to two firms who supply inverters/converters.  Drives Direct suggested a digital converter costing nearly £10,000.

Transwave suggested a 30HP rotary converter which costs £3000 or so.  This was the option I was going to go for but I needed to take advice as this does not produce true three phase like a genny would, and it seems that there might be much simpler and cheaper options as I already have two phases!

Which rotary converter did you go for and how is it?

Transwave rotary  15HP which was £1600 new a few years back. Works amazing to be fair but not an item you want to shift about every day as super heavy. Have you got the saw you want to run off it then gav ? Second hand like rocking horse shite so if you ever choose to sell pretty much get most of your money back. 

Edited by topchippyles

23 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Transwave rotary  15HP which was £1600 new a few years back. Works amazing to be fair but not an item you want to shift about every day as super heavy. Have you got the saw you want to run off it then gav ? Second hand like rocking horse shite so if you ever choose to sell pretty much get most of your money back. 

Not got the new mill yet Les, hope to order soon.

34 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Not got the new mill yet Les, hope to order soon.

Not sure on the start up current on the newer stuff but my sedgewick is kit X3 so 4hp=12 hp which is why i have a 15 hp convertor. If its the same you wold be looking and 40 hp 

Edited by topchippyles

17 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Not sure on the start up current on the newer stuff but my sedgewick is kit X3 so 4hp=12 hp which is why i have a 15 hp convertor. If its the same you wold be looking and 40 hp 

Yeah well I am still looking into it, but I am pretty sure there is a soft start.  Motors can draw as much as ten times the current if there is no soft start I believe.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Woodmizer LT15 wide.

Just shy of 15hp motor with a 900mm wide cut. Plenty of grunt for sure and i was going to mention if you had the saw we could have arranged something and popped mine down to see if it would run it.Spending the rest of that bounce back loan are you. 

Edited by topchippyles

• 4 weeks later...

I'm out of my depth on the two phase/split phase farm malarkey, but I'm fairly certain that rotary convertors do create true 3 phase, while the static convertors do not.

I'm running a pretty ancient 15hp rotary for the workshop and it's a fabulous thing that makes magic from a very marginal 50A 240v supply. It's so much nicer than pratting about with starting gennies and pouring diesel up your arm occasionally in my book.

Whether you can apply a soft start module or 3 phase to 3 phase inverter drive to the extent that you're massively lessening the start up loads on the convertor is something for the commercial gurus to work out. It's one of those things where you want one single firm supplying both the convertor and the start device- if you get the components separately and it gives any grief, then both suppliers will just blame the other for your woes....

Keep us informed :)