Farm tipping trailer advice

Dave Martin

I`m thinking about buying a tippimg trailer to use purely off road for moving logs around. I will be pulling it with a John Deere 955 (35hp) any advice greatly appreciated.

hi,lots of old farm trailers had 20 inch diameter wheels and tyres, imo 20 inch tyres are hard too get and expensive so look out for trailers with 16 inch wheels and tyres.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a good realistic look at the tyres on the tractor and the ground you have to work with and buy a trailer that your tractor can cope with - a big heavy duty trailer looks real smart in the yard but pretty sorry for itself when it is in to the axles.

Cheers

mac

Take a good realistic look at the tyres on the tractor and the ground you have to work with and buy a trailer that your tractor can cope with - a big heavy duty trailer looks real smart in the yard but pretty sorry for itself when it is in to the axles.

Cheers

mac

I agree its quicker to go twice than get stuck once.

• 2 months later...
Get a pto hydraulic pump and tank. that way you can still use your loader and tipping trailer at the same time. You could possibly put a valve on the rear 3 point link hydraulics but I think you would run out of oil capacity if you used both the loader and trailer at the same time.

John, in what scenario would you ever need to use the loader when the trailer is in the tipped position? In 30 experience of using ag machinery i have never come across one!

Dave, just get a tee in the main lift pipe for the loader and put the trailer connector on the new end. Then put a tap between the new tee and the loader rams to switch off the supply, plug her in and away you go! You just use the same lever to tip the trailer as you would to raise the loader, when you've tipped unplug the trailer pipe, turn on the tap and the loader back in action!

If you make sure the loader is in a lowered position when tipping the trailer, and the trailer is lowered when using the loader, the oil capacity will not be a problem. It is also the safe way to use the tractor!

Looks a nice little set up.