Arsenic !!!!!!!!!!!!

Johny Walker

The old CCA treated stuff should not be burned except in industrial incinerators - there are nasties concentrated in the ash which are only broken down at industrial temperatures.

The new Tanalith E treatment contains different ingredients and is safer, but the manufacturers say:

Tanalised® E pressure treated timber should not be used for fuel

in barbecues, cooking stoves or grates.

Personally I don't like burning any treated wood - I think we should take a bit of responsibility about what we're sending out of our chimneys for everyone else to breathe in.

Cheers,

Andy

Not really that different for the neighbours and the rest of the planet breathing it in though is it?

We have a guy down the street who burns plastic milk bottles because he can't be bothered to put them in the recycling bin - he's a grand old lad apart from that and his garden is an absolute showpiece. Him and his wife are out there from dawn until dusk most days - you'd sort of think he'd care a bit more.

It's kind of a bug bear with me - I used to get narked when I was deivering to salad growers out on the marshes near Southport. They all flogged their stuff as healthy, natural, organic and what have you, and then they'd be burning great piles of old shrinkwrap and polystyrene to save on disposal costs. You could see the columns of black smoke rising for miles across the flatlands.

I've noticed a few times that business sellers on ebay are offering crap like mdf and plywood offcuts as firewood - personally I reckon they should be stopped - and it's probably against all sorts of business waste regulations to sell it anyway. People will buy it though and that's half the problem.

Cheers,

Andy

Not really that different for the neighbours and the rest of the planet breathing it in though is it?

We have a guy down the street who burns plastic milk bottles because he can't be bothered to put them in the recycling bin - he's a grand old lad apart from that and his garden is an absolute showpiece. Him and his wife are out there from dawn until dusk most days - you'd sort of think he'd care a bit more.

It's kind of a bug bear with me - I used to get narked when I was deivering to salad growers out on the marshes near Southport. They all flogged their stuff as healthy, natural, organic and what have you, and then they'd be burning great piles of old shrinkwrap and polystyrene to save on disposal costs. You could see the columns of black smoke rising for miles across the flatlands.

I've noticed a few times that business sellers on ebay are offering crap like mdf and plywood offcuts as firewood - personally I reckon they should be stopped - and it's probably against all sorts of business waste regulations to sell it anyway. People will buy it though and that's half the problem.

Cheers,

Andy

Understand what your getting at but go and have a look in places like India and china, there burning masses of harmful crap on a daily basis and thats blowing all over the world, i think some guy burning a few off cuts aint really going to do much now, the plannet is screwed anyway.

Understand what your getting at but go and have a look in places like India and china, there burning masses of harmful crap on a daily basis and thats blowing all over the world, i think some guy burning a few off cuts aint really going to do much now, the plannet is screwed anyway.

I agree with County4x4, every little helps !!!! If people put there effort into making a difference and not pointing out others mistakes things would be alot better :thumbup1:

I agree with County4x4, every little helps !!!! If people put there effort into making a difference and not pointing out others mistakes things would be alot better :thumbup1:

I agree, everylittle helps but there are bigger issues.

Try taking your "crusade" to the Government then, they send billions of tons of OUR waste every year to the far east to be "Disposed" of by burning etc...........how very eco friendly. What about all the people that still burn coal? like me, coal is no better than burning a bit of treated wood( i dont as i dont get any).