accelerating cavity creation in even age stand woods

Charlieh

Whilst out in the woods at the weekend a group of us got talking about the best way to speed up cavity creation in even age structure stands of woodland for biodiversity benefits,

specifically we were discussing this regarding creation of suitable pine marten habitat, where in Europe they generally use black woodpecker holes, unfortunately not having these woodpeckers it means in many cases pine martens are using constructed boxes, which whilst being good for monitoring doesn't really solve the bigger issues.

I suggested that possibly some severe techniques would be required to damage the trunk sufficiently to allow rapid decay to create cavities in the trunk. I just wonder what every one thinks would be best? it may just be that flush cutting combined with a wood auger may be the best way at accelerating the process, i wondered about winching limbs off to cause a large amount of damage,

Like i say this could be interesting as there is a site that some techniques could possibly be tried on, in long term management, away from paths etc, so aesthetics wouldn't be a huge issue,

i would be interested in the thoughts of those who practice arb-ecology works, :thumbup:

cheers

Charlie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting idea, - how flexible or specific are these critters in choosing a site?

ie size cavity, height from ground?

but is it realy a viable option? I'd imagine that a cavity of a suitable size would still take some time to form.

would be an interesting experiment to carry out over a few years.

maybe go the whole hog and provide safe monoliths with cavities cut with a chainsaw (with the front fixed back on)

or - let nature (and woodland management) take its course and use boxes in the meantime:001_smile:

What species of trees & diameter of branches Charlieh?

Is it possible to rip whole limbs out of their sockets by jcb etc...?

all sorts, of species, from ash and oak through to larch and scots,

there are a few larger oaks, which would probably be left but mostly even age stuff from about 15-24"

machinery access into the site is not possible at all, not even by atv

How about deep flush cuts? Should promote cavities above as well as below the wound. You could perharps combine with boring out the centre of the cut

i suspect this might be the best method

Thgis is a great thread, something ive given some thought to as well.

Firstly, why not create some pollards? the dysfunctional core will soon hollow out.

I personaly prefer wounding the trunk with say a sledge hammer, extreme i know but simulates the damage a trunk does when falling onto others in its path, if a truly natural system is wanted. Also insures the damge is in the larger radius, maybe a good thing.

I would also consider using a drill to install some pre inoculated dowels from a ruputable gourmet mushroom supplier. Plurotus ostreatus is a good choice, and is non invasive as well as fast acting.

just some food for thought!

I personaly prefer wounding the trunk with say a sledge hammer, extreme i know but simulates the damage a trunk does when falling onto others in its path,

do you think the sledge hammer damage would be severe enough to cause cavitys to form quickly, i assume as this being a more natural "style" technique this would need many years to form, compared to being drilled, i hadnt really thought about innoculation and that would be cool,

do you think the sledge hammer damage would be severe enough to cause cavitys to form quickly, i assume as this being a more natural "style" technique this would need many years to form, compared to being drilled, i hadnt really thought about innoculation and that would be cool,

Inoculation of the wood with decay fungi is something ive been giving a lot of time and thought to, and you should think of them as allies in your task.

depending on the tree I might use several different types, but to get a good source you are limited to those avaliable for gourmet mushroom growers.

I dont think the hammer and innocluation route is a slow one, not if you get it right, it is not going to be imidiate though iether. I do think this is an area well worth investigating further for ecological habitat work.