New Chipper

5 shires

13 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Out of interest what do you think is over-engineered in a negative way? Too complex? 

The Evo 165D has a fold down chute and I had one on loan last year and it was easy and a great asset that’s why I went for one on my new chipper but the design is completely different...i’am not being negative about it as it looks good and works 95% correct it’s the last 5% that is going to have to be corrected...and I can’t go into deatail as it won’t be fair.

Just now, 5 shires said:

The Evo 165D has a fold down chute and I had one on loan last year and it was easy and a great asset that’s why I went for one on my new chipper but the design is completely different...i’am not being negative about it as it looks good and works 95% correct it’s the last 5% that is going to have to be corrected...and I can’t go into deatail as it won’t be fair.

Fair enough! From the image you posted it looks good. Only thing I can forsee happening is the adjuster knob for the chute flap/vertical adjustment coming loose every 2 minutes and the flap coming over the chute and blocking it. A Similar thing happened on the Timberwolves and it was annoying as hell. 

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Fair enough! From the image you posted it looks good. Only thing I can forsee happening is the adjuster knob for the chute flap/vertical adjustment coming loose every 2 minutes and the flap coming over the chute and blocking it. A Similar thing happened on the Timberwolves and it was annoying as hell. 

No that’s all good and they don’t loosen,I wish I could say what the problem is but until it’s done I think it’s unfair to say at the mo...but it is a real easy fix and I felt it needed to be pointed out before they go fully into production as i’am sure it will be a good selling point for future buyers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

Just prefer the petrol ones...that have the same if not a bit more power then a diesel and are much lighter for me to move around as I do a lot of work on my own.

Ah i see. Not used a petrol machine yet. Do you find they bog or drop revs more than a diesel?

Moving chippers alone is no fun. Last time i had to i did this:

20201216_095908.thumb.jpg.cc9825f82ee4fb5b088a61051e08c9fd.jpg

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

AFAIK with new emissions rules coming in for diesel engines meaning that chippers will have to have a DPF etc fitted it seems they are moving towards petrol

I saw that Forst have a machine with a DPF now. It wouldn't worry me much, diesels generate soot under acceleration and with no-stress systems and running at constant RPM the DPF shouldn't really be an issue.

1 minute ago, 5 shires said:

No they don’t It a petrol sub 750.

Ah, makes sense. The sub-750 aspect of the diesel TimberWolf machines explains them being flimsy. My understanding is that GreenMech are much better built and more robust.

29 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

This the thread has got a bit derailed and slightly moving away from the main subject which was basically me saying git new Chipper with fold down chute and I personally think it’s been over engineered,I think I was hopeing for some constructive opinions...that said there is some nice banter coming back so let’s all keep it nice and not fall into the sucker punch of getting dragged into a personal slanging match...fair enough lads👍

Maybe different on different models, but don’t most (all) chippers have a fold down chute anyway?  

Couple of bolts, fold him over for clearing blockages etc?  Obv’s no good for transit etc. 

I had similar for ArbTrak 150 - bit of a boob on my part, but doesn’t fit in the shed I wanted to use for storage with chute upright. 

It’s not a drama, 2 bolts, fold, track him in. Reverse then load and go. 

Didn’t need a fancy mechanism though. 

There is 1 downside which I thought would kybosh me when I realised I needed to fold to stow. 

I was expecting a micro-switch cut out that would kill the flywheel if chute was folded - not so. You can fold the chute, engine running flywheel turning AND have an exposed hand sized gap where the hard of thinking ‘could’ put digits in the way of fast moving metal. 

I thought about talking to Pete about it but didn’t because it’ll only ever be me tracking it into the shed and I’m not stoopid enough to put my hand where it shouldn’t be 😂

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I saw that Forst have a machine with a DPF now. It wouldn't worry me much, diesels generate soot under acceleration and with no-stress systems and running at constant RPM the DPF shouldn't really be an issue.

It wouldn't worry me much either, You could always take it off at the end of the day. I suppose the addition of a DPF, Adblue tank and the computer to run the emissions kit makes it difficult to get under 750 and also less attractive to the potential buyer