Is milling hard on saws?

Paddy1000111

So I just went to my dealer and enquired about 881's. I was told in no uncertain terms that it won't pull anything over a 40", milling will kill it, it won't pull a 65" hyperskip and I need to buy an 880... 🤷🏼‍♂️[emoji23]

That’s bullshit.
I tested the 881 for stihl in the uk.
Milling up to 84” bars.
The 881 is perfectly capable of pulling whatever you can put on it.
Please message me the number of your dealer.
[emoji106]
  • Like 4

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

That’s bullshit.
I tested the 881 for stihl in the uk.
Milling up to 84” bars.
The 881 is perfectly capable of pulling whatever you can put on it.
Please message me the number of your dealer.
emoji106.png

I've watched your videos and a load others and I was in no doubt that it's not less powerful than the 880! It seems like their tech is a bit "Old school". Considering that I don't think they have had any experience with the saw I didn't read into it too much. The fact he said it would only run a 40" bar and wouldn't run a 65" hyperskip which would be less resistance than a 40" standard says a lot... 

I would love to give you their number and you can give them what for but considering they know me and by the sounds of it I am the only one who has really enquired about a 881 so they would know who it was I don't want to dig a hole with the local dealership 😂 I just won't be buying saws from them

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It just seems like more wear than I would expect after 10 tanks, that can only get worse. I'm more concerned about a cause than anything else

Those rings aren't even bedded in yet. The spark plug is a tad lean of perfect to my mind but not far off.

I can't explain the marks on the piston if it's not sawdust.

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

Those rings aren't even bedded in yet. The spark plug is a tad lean of perfect to my mind but not far off.

I can't explain the marks on the piston if it's not sawdust.

Well the fact that it's got these polished wear spots suggests it's been running a tad dry? The only thing I could possibly think it is, I used a gentle smear of hylomar on the seal, maybe a little bit came off? It doesn't harden or anything and the stuff in there is like a thick grease but seems odd, 

13 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well the fact that it's got these polished wear spots suggests it's been running a tad dry? The only thing I could possibly think it is, I used a gentle smear of hylomar on the seal, maybe a little bit came off? It doesn't harden or anything and the stuff in there is like a thick grease but seems odd, 

We'll have to see what @spudulike thinks, I've never taken a saw that new apart but until the rings bed in there will always be some excessive blowby.

• Like 1

I've watched your videos and a load others and I was in no doubt that it's not less powerful than the 880! It seems like their tech is a bit "Old school". Considering that I don't think they have had any experience with the saw I didn't read into it too much. The fact he said it would only run a 40" bar and wouldn't run a 65" hyperskip which would be less resistance than a 40" standard says a lot... 

I would love to give you their number and you can give them what for but considering they know me and by the sounds of it I am the only one who has really enquired about a 881 so they would know who it was I don't want to dig a hole with the local dealership [emoji23] I just won't be buying saws from them

The 881 comes with a 41” bar and chain combo (if you plumb for that option) so his theory on the 40” bar max is shot to s#*t straight off.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ratman said:

The 881 comes with a 41” bar and chain combo (if you plumb for that option) so his theory on the 40” bar max is shot to s#*t straight off.

Well 40/41... It was just odd, it wasn't him being a "by the book salesman" where they say "It only comes rated up to 40" and that's all you can use on it. On Stihls Blog it says you can run 46" and more. It was more of a case of him saying the new 881 was eco freindly and green and wouldn't work on a mill. Even when I said about using 65" bars with a hyperskip he was saying no. According to him people have been trying to run them without external oilers on big bars??! He told me the only way to make them any good is to port them and upgrade the carb to something adjustable which he then informed me would void the warranty obviously 🙄