recomdations on a new saw please

petespeed

5 hours ago, gary112 said:

What model did you buy, I would interested to know how a 7300 compares to the 7900, if there is a lot of difference in the actual cutting power, or if its just on paper in the cc 's, some say the 7300 has a more usable steady power band.

Edited by Echo

3 minutes ago, Echo said:

If you mean a Dolmar, they are the same saw as a Makita.

To @petespeed  , you are going from a very small saw to a power house if

you settle on the Makita or Dolamr 7900 saws, be very carefull, them things

will send you backways in a hurry if you get kicked out of the cut.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Its hard to beat a German saw like Stihl. I bought a VW Crafter which was 18 months old 11 years ago and its still going strong today. Most of my mates bought French vans and they are long gone. fwiw

Hence why I've never been a Makita man. I'm sure they are great saws but they look a bit plasticy and the on/off switch, fuel caps etc all look and feel very home-owner. I'm also not a fan of the anti-theft green on a saw, that being said I have a complete range of makita LXT tools (including their battery chainsaw) and they're awesome. Like I said, I'm sure they're great saws but they don't give me "the fizz" that Stihl do... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Hence why I've never been a Makita man. I'm sure they are great saws but they look a bit plasticy and the on/off switch, fuel caps etc all look and feel very home-owner. I'm also not a fan of the anti-theft green on a saw, that being said I have a complete range of makita LXT tools (including their battery chainsaw) and they're awesome. Like I said, I'm sure they're great saws but they don't give me "the fizz" that Stihl do... 

Makita make very good chainsaws, I should have bought a battery one instead of buying

two EA4300 saws, keeping an eye on what Makita and the competition are doing in this regard.

What is you do not like about the Makita Dolmar brand.

I like them because they are easy to work on if you have to, no complicated MT or AT

to require a trip to the dealers, its not the trip, its the trip, the wait, and the cost of diagnostics, the time lost if you dont have another saw tyou o step in with, most people who use saws fora living can sort most if not all problems on simple saws like the Makitas / Dolmars and be back at work in short time.

Also comapre some of the torqur figures and fuel consumption between

the Makita Dolmar brand and the same sized saw with AT or MT, especially the big new ones, unless their own documentation is misleading, some of the older saws are better on fuel, and the most poluting saw of all, the new MS500i, it would be interesting to know why you dislike the Makita Dolmar variants.

Wouldnt it be fun if Makita Dolmar made their own fuel injected saw.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Makita are Dolmar... which are German.

Infact, they are the #1 selling chainsaw in Germany!

Edited by DCS6800i
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Echo said:

Makita make very good chainsaws, I should have bought a battery one instead of buying

two EA4300 saws, keeping an eye on what Makita and the competition are doing in this regard.

What is you do not like about the Makita Dolmar brand.

I like them because they are easy to work on if you have to, no complicated MT or AT

to require a trip to the dealers, its not the trip, its the trip, the wait, and the cost of diagnostics,

and the time lost if you dont have another saw tyou o step in with, most people who use saws for

a living can sort most if not all problems on simple saws like the Makitas / Dolmars and be back

at work in short time. Also comapre some of the torqur figures and fuel consumption between

the Makita Dolmar brand and the same sized saw with AT or MT, especially the big new ones,

unless their own documentation is misleading, some of the older saws are better on fuel, and

the most poluting saw of all, the new MS500i, it would be interesting to know why you dislike the

Makita Dolmar variants.

Interesting that you say the new MS 500i is the most poluting saw of all . How do you come to this conclusion ?  I don't own one ( Husky man mostly ) but I was under the impression that the fuel injection and electronics were to make it meet future emission regs ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Interesting that you say the new MS 500i is the most poluting saw of all . How do you come to this conclusion ?  I don't own one ( Husky man mostly ) but I was under the impression that the fuel injection and electronics were to make it meet future emission regs ?

Theres some German test body that passes the saws for use there, I cant find the link as its ages since I read it, but the figures for that saw were the worst regarding emmisions, its also well know it is a thirsty animal, so much for fuel injection, which went the complete opposite way in four strokes, much cleaner,

and more economy.

Edited by Echo

1 minute ago, Echo said:

Even better Stihl, Dolmar is the Volkswagen of the saw world.

Dolmar is now... as you've already said - they are still basic mechanical saws. There's no Auto tune or electric gizmos (except the ignition coil).

Solid, reliable work horses. They are long stroke engines which don't run as fast as Husky, but they have a reserve of torque not much can match

• Like 1