New tp tree surgery

Gavin Adams

Find a good firm locally that you can do some days with. Will teach you the right/wrong ways to do things. Should also give you a good idea of what bits you want/need to buy. Start adverting and pick up jobs as you go while doing 2-3 days a week with someone else. 

• Like 3

In the first instance I'd get some cutting boots, some cutting trousers, a helmet and some waterproofs.

Plus a chainsaw ticket or two - Maintenance and crosscutting + felling small trees would be good start.

I'd be inclined to work for a few firms, unless the one you're with is evidently good. The more people you can work with, the more skills, hints and techniques you'll pick up.

Edited by Mark J

Definitely go and get your CS30/CS31 tickets or all you will be is a branch dragger and not allowed to pick up a tool. Buy yourself the PPE- Good waterproofs, Chainsaw trousers, boots (lace up not wellie type) and a helmet. If I can give you any advice it's to buy the best kit you financially can when you do buy stuff. All the cheap things (Apart from my Oregon Yukon boots) were rubbish and I spent more money again buying decent stuff. 

I don't know where you are but if you are in the south/towards Devon then I can highly recommend Hi-Line as a training company. They are spot on, good trainers, nice environment and very well priced. 

• Like 1

Definately get up a shitty huge Leylandii and take it to bits with a silky, give you an idea of whats in store  ?  K

Edited by Khriss
( obvs other peoples advice above is more exciting, but mine may be more realistic)
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Definately get up a shitty huge Leylandii and take it to bits with a silky, give you an idea of whats in store  ?  Kx

It's good experience!

I'm new to tree work and the day after i ran a saw for the first time my mate sent me 45' up with a tophandle and started shouting instructions.

Recently did a 35' cherry alone and took most of the branches off with a Silky as they needed to be chucked away from a fence. Actually found it quite satisfying!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Often overlooked on how fast you can do work with a hand saw. All that start / strop / cut / stop / grab / chuck or swing. Plus nice n quiet. Softwood easier. But have reduced big Oaks with just sharp Silky.  K

It's good to learn the principles and methods for cutting first, which is much easier and safer with a silky. Toppies are a bit intimidating when you're starting out too.

The quiet is nice too! Nice to not need ear defenders and be starting a saw every other minute.

Where are you based, Gavin?