Big CC Chainsaws a thing of the past or will new models come out soon?

Jamie Jones

Robin you sound like a good bloke[emoji106]
I cut 99% hardwoods in the uk,
But to be honest I try to avoid milling seasoned trunks, only do fresh.
I find the teeth can wear down to blunt from a new .404 chain in 2’ of very very seasoned ash. Guy I chat with in Australia uses a 25” bar on his highly modded 880.
That’s for forest fire hardened stuff, mentally hard apparently (I believe it[emoji1787]).
Have you tried Oregon hyper skip chain?
It’s fantastic for really long bars, it does dull quicker but very quick to sharpen.

That winch looks interesting, curious to see more [emoji106]

Do you ever do any chainsaw milling?
That torque would really help [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Thx mate, you too
Sorry i tend to be defensive at times lol
Hope didnt offend anyone here, its all good

I can relate, not a fan of seasoned stuff myself. And some wood that grows along the beach area could have high silica content, which increases its abrasiveness. Even 404 will barely survive a single pass, if you dont sharpen and let the chain cool down before the 2nd pass. You're asking for trouble, they get stretched and beat up

Yeah those ozzie guys are dealing with different kinda mess, all the iron bark, yellow box and stuff. Pretty bad shape by the looks of it

Hope to put it to work soon, will come in handy pulling big trees in tight spots. Where heavy equipments cant access

I did in the past, softwood is fun. Hardwood not so much, double power head with 100 over cc is a must
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Heavier crankweight = flywheel effect and smoother more reliable engine . K

Doesn't that mean you need to weigh it with the flywheel and clutch as a rotating mass? If you have a 700g crank and a 500g flywheel then you're going to be in the same boat as a 800g crank with a 400g flywheel? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Doesn't that mean you need to weigh it with the flywheel and clutch as a rotating mass? If you have a 700g crank and a 500g flywheel then you're going to be in the same boat as a 800g crank with a 400g flywheel? 

I use them i dont design them ?  plus yr piston is part of the reciprocating mass. Flywheels are lighter part of the combination due to their function as a cooler too, if they were cast steel too it would be a bloody heavy saw  ? K

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Khriss said:

I use them i dont design them ?  plus yr piston is part of the reciprocating mass. Flywheels are lighter part of the combination due to their function as a cooler too, if they were cast steel too it would be a bloody heavy saw  ? K

Makes a fair old difference though. You think about the weight in a flywheel with the magneto inserts plus the weight of a large pro-saw clutch. The magneto inserts and the clutch pads all being on the outside of the "wheel" mean more mass effect too. All the old steam engines had massive flywheels so they could put more weight on the outside of the wheel as they could have less weight on the wheel but more torque! You could have a light weight crank and add a little weight to the outside of flywheel to give a lighter saw but keep the flywheel torque factor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you trying to get torque with a longer stroke and con rod? Thanksgiving wouldn’t be that big a celebration round here but Black Friday is catching on[emoji12]
Yes sir, more stroke with heavier crank will yield an exponential gain in torque
Haha I suppose so, trend varies across the pond
  • Like 1

I was hoping someone would bring this up
088/880 has poly flywheel, so they're out of the equation. 3120 is metal flywheel along with 1200, i imagine the weight dont vary too much. Clutch definitely goes to 1200, big 4 piece clutch. I'll weigh em one of these days.

Anyway you're right, the reciprocating assembly weight will generate most of the tq and will give the ability hold the rpm in the cut under load. A heavier reciprocating assembly will try to stay in motion better than a lighter mass assembly, although some throttle response is sacrificed on the heavy ones. It'll give great usability, in other words wide power band. Some of you tractor guys will know better, adding that flywheel weight and all to gain some tq