They took the 20% Tax out my cheque......Grrrr

Mac McLennan

I know what you are saying, but they don't really have something of yours do they? They give you a certificate and its paid towards your tax. Maybe you are a good boy and pay your tax in advance like Lee, and so they don't need to deduct. But most labourers arn't that well behaved.

Rupe is bookwork was left to me I'd be in prison lol I'm just fortunate to have a good secretary/book keeper/wife.............:001_smile:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if they took 20% of my profit on the job then that would be fine by me rupe, but they dont, they take it on the total,

They are supposed to take it from the labour, well thats what I thought.

Only had to do the cis thing when working for George Wimpey homes years ago, no one else has ever asked me for it, and that includes the like's of Balfour's and Laing's.

Your work isn't agricultural if the end result is building a house? How is building a house agricultural?? It may have been in 1999 but its not now. If you get away with it then good on you, like I say it can be got round, its up to who pays the bill though.

The funniest part is that on the letter they spelled my name wrong :lol: but it still works!!

I always pay my tax on time, so no real harm done, I think they would only get heavy if they thought I was trying to evade tax.

if i was a good brickie he would of done the same thing because he wanted me to do the job, its not a fiddle or pulling strings. I have never itemised a bill for a builder, just given a price and that was it. If i was in for a huge job that i really wanted then i would just go along with it and price the labour in at 200 quid on a 40k job:biggrin:

Rupe is bookwork was left to me I'd be in prison lol I'm just fortunate to have a good secretary/book keeper/wife.............:001_smile:

Ha ha! Me too! My mum sent me to her accountant cos she didn't want to visit me in the clink! All sorted now but not paid up in advance!

Something constructive I could add, for those not familiar with doing CIS on your online assessment.

A box is provided where you enter the amount you have been deducted. It deducts it from your bill and refunds if you have paid too much. I got a cheque from IRS direct into my account for overpaid CIS within a short time of submitting my return for last year. I do it in April while its all fresh in my head.

Personally I don't like CIS just like SWB and some others. We as tree surgeons should be exempt. But then everything everyone is saying in this thread then applies....

On one job when I was totally skint and needed full turnover of invoice, I took a risk and put 95% of the invoice through as plant (800hp bandit beast shredder) at £1500 a day and one labourer at £75 a day. To be honest I get a bit confused by the plant part under CIS as plant & operator should be deducted. But what plant does not need an operator. Any ideas Rupe??