WOODLANDER LOG LOADING RAMP & WINCH KIT

Tippin Alaybye

anybody got a woodlands mill on a trailer ie the Woodlander?

not wishing to re invent the wheel, how do you get the logs on the mill? 

it will be a cold day in hell when i pay 430 quid for a winch and some rampsfrom the supplier. a quick look on google and you can get a hand winch for 16 quid. i don't know, but it is possible i could source some wood to act as the ramps, maybe.

pics and/or where you bought the gear much appreciated 

Thats actually quite cheap compared to other Mill Vendors. Logosol for Example are about £2000 for the Ramps and Winch. Ive got the Winch on order but made my own ramps a while a go. 2" Box section with the bottoms cut at the angle needed for the height of the Mill on the Trailer and an attachment arrangement for securing the Ramp to the rails.

At £430 for both I'd not even think about it. Bargain. 

1 hour ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

anybody got a woodlands mill on a trailer ie the Woodlander?

not wishing to re invent the wheel, how do you get the logs on the mill? 

it will be a cold day in hell when i pay 430 quid for a winch and some rampsfrom the supplier. a quick look on google and you can get a hand winch for 16 quid. i don't know, but it is possible i could source some wood to act as the ramps, maybe.

pics and/or where you bought the gear much appreciated 

25B14615-5683-4B21-989C-5F8EF0291073.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

bloody nora. i will post what i eventually end up using. you must be made of money

Ive little time really. I'm getting the Winch kit for £460 + vat. It has a few features I like. For example, the 'socket' remains on the Frame so its quick and easy to remove the Winch arm itself. When Milling the Winch 'clicks' back a bit to allow the Mill to pass without having to remove it each time you finish rolling a log up. It also doubles up as a Log Turner. And having had some 30" Oaks on the mill its certainly something Id like. 

I simply could not build something with all these features for anything like £460 when you factor in my time as well. It would take me maybe 2-3 days. Even just two days Milling would make me more money than that the cost of the Winch and its bound to be the quality that Logosol are known for. 

I'm sure I could weld a 1/2" plate to a bit of 3" Box section and also fab up a socket to sit it in for about £60, thats including paint, wire wheel, etc etc plus the best art of a day. So say £360 for a days Milling + £60 in materials thats £420 it would owe me and would be vastly inferior. 

Time is money. ;) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tippin Alaybye said:

bloody nora. i will post what i eventually end up using. you must be made of money

Earlier post by Andy is pretty much on the mark. Using bits of wood etc can get you into more trouble than it’s worth. It’s ok to go the self fabrication route if you have the kit,time and skills etc but often you can’t match what can be bought for what is in reality sensible money. 
Search around the forum and you will find a good few posts and images ref people’s work on the Woodlands mills  regarding loading and trailers etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frammo said:

if you look to the valleys there are some  cheap "fabricators" there?

Could always get one of these on the money you save on fabricators ?And its an mp3 player with a good sound system ?

IMG_20200715_201314013.jpg

IMG_20200715_201325222.jpg

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Thats actually quite cheap compared to other Mill Vendors. Logosol for Example are about £2000 for the Ramps and Winch. Ive got the Winch on order but made my own ramps a while a go. 2" Box section with the bottoms cut at the angle needed for the height of the Mill on the Trailer and an attachment arrangement for securing the Ramp to the rails.

At £430 for both I'd not even think about it. Bargain. 

Yeah, but the difference between the logosol winch and the woodlands winch is enormous.

The logosol winch/crane is welded 50mm x 75mm x 6mm  thick tube and three times as long as the woodlands which is 45mm square x 3mm thick bent tube with a winch mounted on the top, its not like for like 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, frammo said:

nice mooring weight ...once you have forked out to get it linebored and repinned you might be able to get insurance to run it on a site ...ooops must stop swearing .is that the staircase in background ...m8 you must of bin a mod when you was younger :way you run round this site with target on your back?

All the correct bushes and pins and perfectly fitting. Just chucked a quick bucket on as its only a 120 sec job and not 3 months.Quick hitch and all so keep at it son. The baby one is that for my 4 year old grandson to play with ?

• Like 1