Stihl with Oregon bars

Bluebird

Further to my request for advice yesterday. I have some Oregon 16 inch bars which I can fit to a Stihl 170 and 211. Both saws have side tensioning. However the chains 3/8, 57 DL won’t tension as if they are too long. Am I missing something or just being dumb?. Any help would be welcome.

19 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Further to my request for advice yesterday. I have some Oregon 16 inch bars which I can fit to a Stihl 170 and 211. Both saws have side tensioning. However the chains 3/8, 57 DL won’t tension as if they are too long. Am I missing something or just being dumb?. Any help would be welcome.

So how many driver links should there be when using an Oregon 16" bar on a Stihl 170/211 ?  ( it may be a different driver  link count because the Oregon bar mount holes and slot  may be in a different position to an OEM  Stihl one . )

Good morning, On the bar, there should be a few numbers and letters stamped into it. (Near the chainsaw fit ment slot)

I don’t know  where you got the chain and bar from, but it seems to me it’s not ment for the stihl. Even though the bar fits it maybe for a husky and the oil hole may not line up.

The husky chains are least/usually a different  DL count. And can be different gauge. And  like @Stubby said  the fitment holes are/can be slightly different place

i,m wondering if you got a bit of a mismatch, that’s why we asked for pic's. It can help you get a answer quicker.

its better to be sure it will work or know why it don’t seem to work. As a few peeps get some things wrong. Eg .325 bar and 3/8  (and 3/8 is different to 3/8 lopro or pico) chain and also sometimes the sprocket on the saw has been changed.

theres a few reasons.
We’re only here to try and help ??

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for replies. Please see attached fotos with an Oregon 16 Inch bar and Oregon 16 inch 57DL chain. The tensioning tang cannot travel far enough to tension the chain. The same happens with the 170 that I fitted a side tensioner to. Any advice re suitable bar will be welcome. It’s not that important but I have 4 Oregon 16 inch bars lying around doing nothing and these saws can take apparently 12 to 16 inch bars.

B3B96DE0-7B75-47E0-8361-FC7A7B19209F.jpeg

03AEE540-AC6D-4C7B-A0C4-C06B6186A09C.jpeg

FD273AF9-FC28-4E18-9072-ABBBB3AA609A.jpeg

If the oregon bar is for a Stihl it will have 1.6mm stamped on it as the guage/bar groove thickness, that's the same for both .325 and 3/8s for Stihl.

If it was a bar designed for a husky I doubt us get ur chain into the groove unless very worn ( huskys are 1.5mn)

I've had both Oregon and Stihl bars on a saw and the same chain should fit.

Are u sure chain is the correct size?

Was it a pre made factory loop or shop made loop?

Might of made it a link to long and possibly stretched also?

In a nut shell you have the wrong driver link count ( you said so your self ) You may also have the wrong  bar ( could be a Husqvarna mount / gauge )  you could also have the wrong pitch 3/8 , .325 or 3/8 low pro , or any combination thereof .  You need to show the stamping on the bar  so that someone like Rob D cant determine what you have .

Edited by Stubby

your saw in the pic is a 211c, 

the bar is designed for another saw, that’s why the drive link count is wrong. Even thou it fits a 211, it was said before the end is open on a stihl bar designed for the 170 and 211 series saws

the quick google I came up with, it’s a florabest electric chainsaw bar and chain combo

and on another note the bar is a bit knackered where the chain enters the bar. I can’t be sure why it happens, but I think it was due to using a worn chain sprocket..also you would get better cutting from a chain that had a little more hook on the teeth.. So maybe a bit of reading on sharpening will help you as well.

edit , I,m wondering if your chain sprocket bearing is fooked, that maybe another reason for the bar wear at the end ??

93D1DD65-4F89-4833-9785-4C8B40B384F6.png

Edited by Wonky
Edit
  • Like 1