Log Splitter - Choice?

craigblues

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

£1900 was more than I was willing to spend. The ES is a 22t, but £1500. Its virtually the same machine once you remove the micro-switch stopping the horizontal operation, as per the EU directive. The only thing missing from the ES is the table, but Ill fab my own one up.

I might have to get you to send me some pics of the micro switch. ? Why don't they want you using it horizontally in EU, but the other model you can? Whats the added extra which then makes it meet EU regs for horizontal use?

On 03/06/2020 at 17:22, craigblues said:

Hi All,

I've had a search and found a few threads relating to this but not quite found the answer.

I'm looking at a log splitter, have been browsing the web, considered making my own (with some help) but come across the 20t meter long and 22t venom log splitter by Rock Machinery. Does anyone have either of these machines? £1500-£1900 on a trailer can be used horizontally or vertically. Downside is towing 45mph, but most likely own to be used around the home, or I'll push it onto another trailer to take to place I'll be splitting.

Admittedly it is more than I was considering but I very much prefer to buy something decent rather than moan about buying cheap and end up selling and buying something better.

Any advice and thoughts would be greatly received.

Got a PTO Krpan. Will post pictures at weekend. K

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, craigblues said:

I might have to get you to send me some pics of the micro switch. ? Why don't they want you using it horizontally in EU, but the other model you can? Whats the added extra which then makes it meet EU regs for horizontal use?

I will do when I get home. :) The ES was built in preparation for the EU regulations that would have come into force here had we remained in the EU. When we left the EU they where stuck with a bunch of 22t splitter with useless and unwanted safety features but ones that can easily be overridden. This is going by what they told me on the phone, could all be BS but rings true to me.  

Horizontal splitting will be or is banned in the EU supposedly. To save folks backs from lifting big rounds onto the machine. Vertical only. I'll use the vertical for big rounds and horizontal for everything else. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 1

Just now, trigger_andy said:

I will do when I get home. :) The ES was built in preparation for the EU regulations that would have come into force here had we joined the EU. When we left the EU they where stuck with a bunch of 22t splitter with useless and unwanted safety features but ones that can easily be overridden. This is going by what they told me on the phone, could all be BS but rings true to me.  

Horizontal splitting will be or is banned in the EU supposedly. To save folks backs from lifting big rounds onto the machine. Vertical only. I'll use the vertical for big rounds and horizontal for everything else. 

If this is the case, I'll definitely keen in that model. Plus the extra saving means can make/modify the other bits myself if I feel I need them.

Just now, craigblues said:

If this is the case, I'll definitely keen in that model. Plus the extra saving means can make/modify the other bits myself if I feel I need them.

That was my thinking as well. Get one before they go! The added benefit is they have them in stock right now. The regular 22t has a huge backlog of orders. 

Just now, trigger_andy said:

That was my thinking as well. Get one before they go! The added benefit is they have them in stock right now. The regular 22t has a huge backlog of orders. 

Well I did speak to them today about the 22T £1900 version, they received them in yesterday but were busy building them (doing up a few bolts and sticking their branding on I'm guessing, ha!) apparently for backorders and expected a 2 week wait for delivery on any new orders but couldn't guarantee if there would be any left from this new batch.

Just now, craigblues said:

Well I did speak to them today about the 22T £1900 version, they received them in yesterday but were busy building them (doing up a few bolts and sticking their branding on I'm guessing, ha!) apparently for backorders and expected a 2 week wait for delivery on any new orders but couldn't guarantee if there would be any left from this new batch.

In my research before buying one they seem to have a very tight control of quality in china and have a man over there overseeing the production. I dont think the Splitters are generic but I think their Stump grinders are, but built to their spec and QC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

In my research before buying one they seem to have a very tight control of quality in china and have a man over there overseeing the production. I dont think the Splitters are generic but I think their Stump grinders are, but built to their spec and QC. 

Fair enough. Cant argue with that. A friend saw them at APF one year and the machines looked good quality. He nearly bought one but then built his own instead as he likes to dabble and found a spare RAM he could use for it.

• Like 1