Log Splitter - Choice?

craigblues

Craigblues you said "I wondered if I should of got the metre cutting length version" it depends on your process and how/where machine will be used, as well as budget. Smaller machines are lighter/easier to move around and it's also physically easier moving <60cm lengths of wood into position to split as well as stacking shorter billets. If dealing with a lot of open grown trees as found in gardens, farmland trees or arb waste there's often not a lot straight 1m lengths of cordwood in my experience. On the other hand if plantation grown wood and billets are to be sawn later say with a circular drum saw or processor then better with longer 1m splitting length. Cost also a big factor with some small road tow machines costing as little as £1,500 compared to >£5,000 for a good 1m road tow machine but they can be significantly faster to operate (AMR 12t with Honda engine impressive speed wise). 

58 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Craigblues you said "I wondered if I should of got the metre cutting length version" it depends on your process and how/where machine will be used, as well as budget. Smaller machines are lighter/easier to move around and it's also physically easier moving <60cm lengths of wood into position to split as well as stacking shorter billets. If dealing with a lot of open grown trees as found in gardens, farmland trees or arb waste there's often not a lot straight 1m lengths of cordwood in my experience. On the other hand if plantation grown wood and billets are to be sawn later say with a circular drum saw or processor then better with longer 1m splitting length. Cost also a big factor with some small road tow machines costing as little as £1,500 compared to >£5,000 for a good 1m road tow machine but they can be significantly faster to operate (AMR 12t with Honda engine impressive speed wise). 

All good points. I was referring to the Rock Machinery version 20t 1 metre splitting length with hydraulic lift from horizontal to vertical due to size and weight as it was £1600 (in sale apparently) compared to the ES 22t version I bought for £1500.

Craigblues - with you now, my apologies as didn't realise there was a 20T Venom meter version (quite a saving £600). If you haven't used the ES 22T and feel the meter version would meet your needs better they might take back the one you purchased as decent lot to deal with ... plenty power but on the slow side.

Edited by Vedhoggar

9 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Craigblues - with you now, my apologies as didn't realise there was a 20T Venom meter version (quite a saving £600). If you haven't used the ES 22T and feel the meter version would meet your needs better they might take back the one you purchased as decent lot to deal ... plenty power but on the slow side.

I’d imagine the metre version would be slower due to the extra travel distance. I think they come with a single stage pump, wonder if a two stage would make it quicker. Unsure if it would or if possible.

2 hours ago, swinny said:

Wonder if these be any good for breaking down over sized stems cut to 1m lengths? Like 3-4' diameter pieces to be broken down for the processor?

With Venom ES 22T was splitting 50-60cm long x about 60cm dia beech logs last summer and was about as much as I could get onto the base plate but once in position no problem splitting. 

2 hours ago, craigblues said:

Am I right in thinking its a single stage from new?

Venom 22T with table, 22T ES and 20T metre version all have 2 stage pumps with cycle time on 22T table version 10 sec, 22T 12 sec and 20T metre version 20 secs as ram has further to travel but often ram only needs to go part way through to split log. The video on Rock Machinery website for 22T table version looks like it has been speeded up a bit to me.

Oh okay. No way of improving it further then. But is the Venom 22T with table, 22T ES are the same setup pretty much so why is the one with table quicker? The ES was meant to be replacing the other so surely it was an improved design aswell as meeting the EU legs.