Pole powered pruner

Green Man Wales

I was going to make a really cost saving and versatile suggestion, based on what I'm doing. Then when I looked at the figures, the list prices were near identical. A big Stihl petrol polesaw is almost exactly the same list price as a Kombi engine, extension and pole pruner, so if you only want to cut branches, and not strim grass etc, no advantage at all. You'd actually have a worse machine.
I will however add that when I used the pruner for butchering thorn hedges, it was a real pain keeping the chain attached. Fortunately, my experiment of upgrading to a bar and chain for my 023 transformed the job. 
I use the kombi system and the pole saw attachment.
An Arb work mate uses same system with pole extensions. Personally i find the swaping out annoying, the tighening device can fail if over tightened the plastic which sits inside the shaft can come out making it a pain to realign the shafts.

So if you can afford a one tool for one job only. Fixed pole or telescopic for it.. i cant recomend husky over stihl as i havent tried one.

Pole saws very useful and practical if used sensibly IMO.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, woodwoozles said:

I use the kombi system and the pole saw attachment.
An Arb work mate uses same system with pole extensions. Personally i find the swaping out annoying, the tighening device can fail if over tightened the plastic which sits inside the shaft can come out making it a pain to realign the shafts.

So if you can afford a one tool for one job only. Fixed pole or telescopic for it.. i cant recomend husky over stihl as i havent tried one.

Pole saws very useful and practical if used sensibly IMO.

I used to get cheesed off when hedgecutting, inserting and removing extension pieces. It was a real pain in the posterior. As my inventory of tools has grown, the luxury of having one engine at normal length, and one extended is sheer bliss, and really cuts down wasted time. 

I used to get cheesed off when hedgecutting, inserting and removing extension pieces. It was a real pain in the posterior. As my inventory of tools has grown, the luxury of having one engine at normal length, and one extended is sheer bliss, and really cuts down wasted time. 

Ahh so are you agreeing that the kombi is useful or that a fixed shaft is better

In other words you say you had kombi forna while used it, was good but got fed up swapping and invested on a fixed shaft prooaper jaab

4 minutes ago, woodwoozles said:

Ahh so are you agreeing that the kombi is useful or that a fixed shaft is better

In other words you say you had kombi forna while used it, was good but got fed up swapping and invested on a fixed shaft prooaper jaab

No Sir, you misunderstand me, sorry. Multiple Kombis. One set up with extension, one without. Works for me. Love my Kombis. 

Edited by Peter 1955

Stihl HT131....bloody weird internals but they are a pretty useful tool. Each time I get them in I give them a thorough testing trimming all the stuff in the garden!

They are a telescopic pole saw but some....I know I know, use them with trimming heads - it can cause issues but does open up a wealth of tall soft wood trimming on tall hedges.

• Like 1