Brian James tipper trailer, good or bad?

The dogwalker

On 05/05/2020 at 22:51, david wood said:

i borrowed one of these to move some timber and it had lot of good points and one bad.

good was it sits low, tri axle so towed well, sides good to take on and off, tip mechanism seemed good with very tall twin rams.

most hated but easy to overcome point was logs kept sticking in at taildoor, there are a lip either side when door off of about 3/4 an inch and big lumps were attracted to it like a magnet and then a bugger to move.  bit of plate popped in to make it sledge past would solve. 

overall a fantastic trailer i thought. 

The one you borrowed was the original tipper1. They had lips on either side and mine used to jam fairly easily. used to always make sure I had a pry bar, felling bar, sledge hammer and a saw to persuade bits out.

I now have the tipper 2, this is smooth on the way out. Have yet to have it jam up. I really like the brian james trailers, got a 12ft plant trailer as well which seems really good but I've not put loads of miles on yet. 

• Like 1

So, I got my new trailer this wednesday. Used it for the first time yesterday and now there is problem...

The trailer is completley new but registered 2019.

Yesterday I filled it with chips, first dump was no problem but the second time it just barely moved at first and then nothing but the sound from the hydaulic engine.

my idea was that the battey had issues so I charged it over night but it still wont tip so I’m thinking there might be some kind of safety device that is not configured correctly.

The manual says nothing.

Any ideas or experiences?

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Is the hydraulic pump spinning or just clicking? I assume it has a remote control - is it plugged in correctly? 

The pump is spinning.

The remote is plugged in (I checked it over and over)

Can’t see any signs of leaks

I’d imagine the solenoid that lets the oil back to tank when you close the tipper (actuated by the down button) is sticking. Does it have a manual override to close the tipper (often some sort of screw valve)? If so, make sure that is in the correct position - it won’t be a major fault I wouldn’t think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

How much chip? We brimmed Steve's Brian James on Friday and it wouldn't tip, had to fork a bit out.

Once it starts to lift the centre of gravity moves towards the pivot so gets easier for it, it's the initial lift that is the problem.

I’ve never stopped an Ifor tipping - have tipped 4 tonnes out of one before now... They all need a charged battery to operate properly though, that can have a big impact on lifting capacity. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

How much chip? We brimmed Steve's Brian James on Friday and it wouldn't tip, had to fork a bit out.

Once it starts to lift the centre of gravity moves towards the pivot so gets easier for it, it's the initial lift that is the problem.

It was filled up to where the meshing starts on the high sides but most of the chips were chiped Thuja and spruce så fairly light chips.

After we manualy emptyed the trailer it still won’t tipp

4 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’d imagine the solenoid that lets the oil back to tank when you close the tipper (actuated by the down button) is sticking. Does it have a manual override to close the tipper (often some sort of screw valve)? If so, make sure that is in the correct position - it won’t be a major fault I wouldn’t think.

I found some kind of screw valve close to the hydraulics but there is no marking on it.

should it be completley closed or what is the correct position?