Which mill

Forest2Furniture

I'm seriously thinking of getting another bandsaw mill.

The woodlands I've got is nearly four years old and although still going strong I find the engine does struggle sometimes.

What are your thoughts on the Logosol machines any preference.

Do I go for the new Woodlands model HM130 MAX or a Logosol B751 PRO

Logosol b1001.
After looking at the spec on these,
14hp HM130MAX 76cm
18hp B751PRO 65cm
23hp B1001 90cm

Next year I might upgrade to a bandsaw...
Might...
I'd like to skip the entry level for something a bit more professional.
A wider cut is very important.
[emoji106]

50 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Logosol b1001.
14hp HM130MAX 76cm
18hp B751PRO 65cm
23hp B1001 90cm

Might...
emoji106.png

I can see why you have always erred towards the B1001 - 90cm and 23hp !!! ? 

Have you ever used one or tried one in earnest, as a peer review by someone who has spent years milling would be a great insight ? ?

If not perhaps someone on the Forum has - there are lots of B751's about, not so many B1001's though.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Logosol b1001.
14hp HM130MAX 76cm
18hp B751PRO 65cm
23hp B1001 90cm

Might...
emoji106.png

I was having difficulties finding the full spec for the smaller B751PRO but now I think it'll have to be the B1001, might have to do a bit more coppering up before placing order that or sell the current woodlands mill.

• Like 1

If I could I would have bought the Logosol B1001, it looks like a very professional machine. The optional extras significantøly greater for the 1001 over the 751.

I have the B751, its virtually the same as the B751 Pro, the main difference is the Pro has the same style of bed as the 1001, which is more robust.This allows the B751 Pro's Bed to accept a range of Options I simply cant get on the regular B751. It also makes the trailer package significantly cheaper than what I had to buy for the regular B751 as the Pro's Trailer Package is incorporated into the B1001 style bed the B751 Pro now has. 

The B751 Pro can come with a range of Power Options, 1 Electric and two petrol. Either a 13hp Briggs or their V twin with 18hp. I have the 13hp version and with the Ripper Blades even cutting the full Cant of 600mm in Oak it does not really struggle. Dont use the Bacho blades that Logosol recommend, they are to thin and flex alot 

The B751 Pro can handle a log up to 750mm OD, hence the name, but the Cant is 600mm. 

I find the build quality on the B751 very good, but then Ive not operated another Mill to compare it to. The range of adjustments is excellent and once you get your head around them you can really fine tune the Mill to within 1mm. You can take a very accurate and consistent veneer cut should you so with. 

Id recommend the B751 if you where milling smaller diameter Hardwood as I find it near impossible manually turning a 30" Oak log over 2m long manually and on my own, and at the same time checking the log is positioned squarely with a set square then locking it in place with the Log Clamps. Im currently milling 25-30" 4.5m Stikka Spruce and I can handle these on my own no bother. Where I to be regularly milling larger OD Hardwoods Id seriously consider the B1001 with the Log Turning attachment. 

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

If I could I would have bought the Logosol B1001, it looks like a very professional machine. The optional extras significantøly greater for the 1001 over the 751.

I have the B751, its virtually the same as the B751 Pro, the main difference is the Pro has the same style of bed as the 1001, which is more robust.This allows the B751 Pro's Bed to accept a range of Options I simply cant get on the regular B751. It also makes the trailer package significantly cheaper than what I had to buy for the regular B751 as the Pro's Trailer Package is incorporated into the B1001 style bed the B751 Pro now has. 

The B751 Pro can come with a range of Power Options, 1 Electric and two petrol. Either a 13hp Briggs or their V twin with 18hp. I have the 13hp version and with the Ripper Blades even cutting the full Cant of 600mm in Oak it does not really struggle. Dont use the Bacho blades that Logosol recommend, they are to thin and flex alot 

The B751 Pro can handle a log up to 750mm OD, hence the name, but the Cant is 600mm. 

I find the build quality on the B751 very good, but then Ive not operated another Mill to compare it to. The range of adjustments is excellent and once you get your head around them you can really fine tune the Mill to within 1mm. You can take a very accurate and consistent veneer cut should you so with. 

Id recommend the B751 if you where milling smaller diameter Hardwood as I find it near impossible manually turning a 30" Oak log over 2m long manually and on my own, and at the same time checking the log is positioned squarely with a set square then locking it in place with the Log Clamps. Im currently milling 25-30" 4.5m Stikka Spruce and I can handle these on my own no bother. Where I to be regularly milling larger OD Hardwoods Id seriously consider the B1001 with the Log Turning attachment. 

Great feedback there thanks. 

Anyone in their right mind would buy a Trakmet of course if they had 3 phase and don't need portability, as they are such amazing value for money and in a totally different league.

Woodlands and Logosol are just plug and play, whereas where there is no 3 phase, setting up a generator and associated infrastructure to run a Trakmet adds a lot to the total cost.

Then it's issue of selling the milled products of course !

Edited by arboriculturist

Just now, arboriculturist said:

Woodlands and Logosol are just plug and play, whereas where there is no 3 phase, setting up a generator and associated infrastructure to run a Trakmet adds a lot to the total cost.

One of the power options for the Logosol is 3ph I think?

And plug and play the Logosol is not. Not for me anyway, took me nearly 3 days to get it pap on. :D There is a lot of adjustments to be made to get the Mill cutting true. Of course using the Bacho blades and the wavy cutting issue I was getting did not help matters. So Ive been through the adjustments a few times with a fine tooth comb. You need a few hand tools for setting up the Logosol Mill, the same as I expect you'll need for the Woodland, Norwood and Wood-Mizer Mills. Thats G-Claps, String, 24-36" Set Square, Engineers straight edge, Allen Keys, Spirit Levels ( I use a 2400mm scree level and a 350mm Magnetic Spirit Level) Wrenches etc. Oh, and a Forklift to lift the cutting head onto the Bed. 

• Like 1

I can see why you have always erred towards the B1001 - 90cm and 23hp !!! [emoji2] 

Have you ever used one or tried one in earnest, as a peer review by someone who has spent years milling would be a great insight ? [emoji106]

If not perhaps someone on the Forum has - there are lots of B751's about, not so many B1001's though.

I spent a couple of months doing the homework with a mate who wanted a big bandsaw.
I've not used one, but compared to every mill I've looked at,
They are better priced for starting with a skeleton model and then adding professional level upgrades.
[emoji106]
(I can see a "which kiln" thread coming soon?[emoji106])