Which mill

Forest2Furniture

11 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

100% ?

Oversize stuff I’ve been milling  is maxing out my standard 130, the milling is the easy part it’s the winching up logs and turning the cants etc that’s the hard part, probs taking nearly as much time as the cutting. 

Do you have some ramp to load your logs? Would you share some pictures of your setup?

Just now, Mareks Lomako said:

Do you have some ramp to load your logs? Would you share some pictures of your setup?

Yeah I’ve got ramps etc but I’d probably increase a days productivity by 200% if I had access to a decent tele handler ?‍♂️, it’s only milling for myself so not an option in reality. 

D2D2E6AA-FDDB-4D6E-A278-7AB3DD7DE8B5.png

276A1F59-AADD-4895-8542-5B3F845439B2.png

F6938634-CBBF-4D2F-88D5-A8B576BED529.jpeg

23BE70CB-75E7-440D-9125-E52F5724E4A1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah I’ve got ramps etc but I’d probably increase a days productivity by 200% if I had access to a decent tele handler ?‍♂️, it’s only milling for myself so not an option in reality. 

D2D2E6AA-FDDB-4D6E-A278-7AB3DD7DE8B5.png

276A1F59-AADD-4895-8542-5B3F845439B2.png

F6938634-CBBF-4D2F-88D5-A8B576BED529.jpeg

23BE70CB-75E7-440D-9125-E52F5724E4A1.jpeg

WOW, that's some serious milling right there! It really seems labour-intensive ?

1 hour ago, Mareks Lomako said:

WOW, that's some serious milling right there! It really seems labour-intensive ?

Yeah physical capability  etc is limiting factor which ain’t funny at times. Bigger logs and a mill to deal with them is all well and good but you defo need loading/handling assistance. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah physical capability  etc is limiting factor which ain’t funny at times. Bigger logs and a mill to deal with them is all well and good but you defo need loading/handling assistance. 

Can you be more selective with your logs rather than have so many big ones ??

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Can you be more selective with your logs rather than have so many big ones ??

If only Les 

some are ok but some are gonna have to be started with Alaskan ?‍♂️. Got them proper cheap so couldn’t really be fussy at the time. Like I say a loader of sorts would make a night and day difference. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

If only Les 

some are ok but some are gonna have to be started with Alaskan ?‍♂️. Got them proper cheap so couldn’t really be fussy at the time. Like I say a loader of sorts would make a night and day difference. 

Massive difference but can one justify the cost.Forget a tele handler as cost to much. I have a back hoe and made 2 grapple attachments which is fantastic bit of kit.Pick that log up in your photo on tick over. I would be looking at a couple of options. Do you have some room about the place ??

39 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Massive difference but can one justify the cost.Forget a tele handler as cost to much. I have a back hoe and made 2 grapple attachments which is fantastic bit of kit.Pick that log up in your photo on tick over. I would be looking at a couple of options. Do you have some room about the place ??

No les can’t justify it I’m afraid, especially not in the current climate. Who knows in the future eh ?‍♂️

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 12:48, agrimog said:

how have you gotten on with the hm126, a move up to the 130max would be a simple one as you are already familiar with the setup, the logosol is a nice machine, but then your starting the learning curve again, ok it has some very nice pluses, ultimatley the choice will be yours, but I would try and get a session on the  machines your looking at, it can be the best mill in the world, but if your not comfortable with it,it might as well be the worst

It's the woodlands 130 I've got, had it for 3.5yrs, it's been OK but now finding it limiting on width and length.

The engine option on the 130max is still only 14hp despite having a bigger width capacity, I'm finding the engine struggles sometimes on the 130 with a 22" cut so adding another 8" to the cut without beafing up the engine could be an issue.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 07:30, Mareks Lomako said:

Have you thought about Wood-Mizer LT15? There is a WIDE version:

• logs up to 90cm wide logs
  • 11kw electric motor or 25 HP Petrol engine

*Disclaimer, I am a Wood-Mizer employee. Genuinely want to know if you have considered LT15.

_MG_1922_1X1.jpg

_MG_1956.JPG

_MG_2010.JPG

That model doesn't seem to have the trailer option which is a must for me.

Not keen on spending out £15k for a new machine in the current climate but needs must and the work is there.