Garden sleepers

adrian007

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Or the absolute best would be sweet chestnut.
As there would be almost no sapwood emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

I'm milling Larch sleepers at at the moment, got 36 going out to Newark this weekend, raised beds for disabled lady.

The problem with treated ones is they leach the chemical in to the soil and then into whatever your growing.

Never thought of milling my sweet chestnut for sleepers, it all goes into milled boards for the furniture makers

Edited by Forest2Furniture

I got realy lucky a month ago and got 37 2.4m 10cmx20cm oak sleeper for £13.50 each. I only have 4 left now. Ripped some down with a skill saw to make 10cmx10cm garden fence posts as well. You quikly get through them once you get going and wouldnt have done as many if they were full price, £30+.

That was a private seller on ebay. 20200419_123319.jpeg20200415_140228.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

I'm milling Larch sleepers at at the moment, got 36 going out to Newark this weekend, raised beds for disabled lady.

The problem with treated ones is they leach the chemical in to the soil and then into whatever your growing.

Never thought of milling my sweet chestnut for sleepers, it all goes into milled boards for the furniture makers

What ballpark price would you put on SC sleepers of say 8ft x 10" x 6" ?

Perhaps 4" thick SC would be adequate?

Larch is even better as it's lighter and easier to install. And you can use normal fixings instead of stainless ones.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

I got realy lucky a month ago and got 37 2.4m 10cmx20cm oak sleeper for £13.50 each. I only have 4 left now. Ripped some down with a skill saw to make 10cmx10cm garden fence posts as well. You quikly get through them once you get going and wouldnt have done as many if they were full price, £30+.

That was a private seller on ebay. 20200419_123319.thumb.jpeg.5ea8877c96a0caf97412da9dd2ebf302.jpeg20200415_140228.thumb.jpeg.f85e03ac597144babcbd630688ad80b4.jpeg
That's an awesome deal.