Worried about cypress gettingg brown and dying

Paola

Question

Hi, we have a big cypress in the garden - it began a couple years ago to 'open up' (branches coming down). We had a gardener see it, and they 'tied it' up with a thin rope. But it also has a disease, I think, as it's getting more and more brown. Or it might be squirrels. Spider mites... no idea. I have not cut out anything (not even the dried up parts); I recently tried to shake out the dried needles, as there was a huge build-up on the branches (esp. in the lower part - it had almost become like earth). Also found some parts of a dead bird in there...And there is something that bites us in the garden in summer - terrible bites, very itchy even if small - but I do not know whether it has to do with this tree. I attach photos (the first two details, the third has more the tree)P_20200408_133136.thumb.jpg.87e7b6a4f06661ba05a94665ecbf7656.jpgP_20200408_133203.thumb.jpg.ab88d4ec6659892250b21ef9c2ea0337.jpgP_20200408_133225.thumb.jpg.a1a887e70652064110da099773d38488.jpg - very grateful for any help.

5 answers to this question

On 08/04/2020 at 14:05, stihlmadasever said:

Yes, but the RHS website lists quite a lot to possibilities; aphids seem the most likely thing, among all the causes listed. Is that what you had in mind? Also, looking at that website, it seems that the best thing to do is water the tree in summered give fertiliser, and that's it...

11 hours ago, Paola said:

Yes, but the RHS website lists quite a lot to possibilities; aphids seem the most likely thing, among all the causes listed. Is that what you had in mind? Also, looking at that website, it seems that the best thing to do is water the tree in summered give fertiliser, and that's it...

What you need to be aware of (and I am surprised no-one has said already) is that the brown patches will not go green again.  You can try and avoid getting more of them but the patches that are brown are dead.  A tree of that size you may find is impossible to really make look nice again.  Might be better off to remove it and replace it with something less troublesome.  Irish or fastigiate Yew is a good option but takes a long time to get to a decent size.  or how about an apple tree.  Beautiful blossom in spring followed by lovely home-grown fruit.  Or a gorgeous ornamental tree of which there are many.  A double headed cherry can be stunning or Laburnum for example.  

If you are not an expert get some good advice (lots of websites that will help you) but unless you love that tree I would get rid of it and get something much less bother and more attractive.

• Like 3