subaru estate for woodland work?

Rob Stringer

I did a day shadowing the executive forester at Longleat 4 years ago and we went all over marking up trees and looking at regen in lightboxed clearings. He was driving a legacy. All the rides were in very good condition but the bottom of the legacy kept scraping and bumping on the ground. I think you would damage a legacy if your rides were not in excellent condition.

You could probably pick up a proper truck for cheaper than a legacy any way. Foresters are very expensive.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, take a look on Home of the Surrey Subaru Club! we have a few Fozzer owners on there (from old to new), one of which goes all over the local Shoot with no problems. Or take a trip down to the Fairmile this Sunday at 1pm when we meet.

Fozzers are great tow vehicles, return around 30mpg, if driven steadily, and have the ability to embarass some very quick factory cars when mildly tuned.

I wouldnt recommend an Impreza Wagon, but only because of ground clearance. I own one and have to tiptoe through areas the Fozzer just sails through.

good stuff, re picking up a cheap truck I've looked at pickups going for 4k or so which have had rust problems &generally looked like they'd been hammered whereas I've never had trouble picking up well maintained estate cars with tow-bar for a fraction of this (and i've seen plenty of 2nd hand foresters going for less than this). Also, as I understand it with the LEZ with most pre 2002 diesel pickups/landrovers i'd soon have to pay £100 a day to drive into greater london (as I often do). Glad to hear the forester is a good tow vehicle, whats it like on muddy tracks?

If you can get down on Sunday, you need to speak to Andy (AP) he owns and uses his for towing the caravan, on the Shoot, and transporting all his dogs. Ive not seen him get stuck, yet!!!!

He wont be there for too long though as his wifes just had their first baby!!

The OP says working in the low emission zone? Scoobys are not low emmision cars surely?! Maybe even the same as a landy as far as this nugget govt's concerned! The new diesel may be, but lacking in torque according to Clarkson, and too shiny for getting dirty!

You can get a new Volvo estate V50 1.6D DRIVe with Start/Stop (109 PS) that produces 104g/km, a bloody great estate producing less than the little Yaris I used to have, if thats not fiddling the figures I don't know what is!

I recently posted that fact on a mostly US forum, one response was thats the first they'd heard mention of CO2 outputs for vehicles ever!

One day the downtrodden British masses will rise up against such misrepresented Governing, and, and.......................... put the kettle on :001_rolleyes:

I had a 1993 subaru legacy estate a few years ago. It was a 2L non turbo and never put a foot wrong.

I worked out of it and went sub contract climbing around Germany and Austria in it for a year.

Loads of room in the back with the seats down and long enought to sleep in, the 4x4 low range came in handy a few times and was fantastic on the mountain roads in the snow.

Pretty damn quick when need be too, travelled back from Vienna to Leicester in about11 hrs including the ferry! Was doing 120mph most of the way through Germany throught the night. It drank fuel though so i would advise to drive frugally and there not to bad on petrol.

Shame Subaru never did a deisel engine really.

Good wagon if you can find a good one for cheap money. The Foresters are getting more affordable now as well, i know a few people who swear by them and the extra ground clearance would be very usefull in the woods.

Get one with the winter pack, heated seats etc!!

I had a 1993 subaru legacy estate a few years ago. It was a 2L non turbo and never put a foot wrong.

I worked out of it and went sub contract climbing around Germany and Austria in it for a year.

Loads of room in the back with the seats down and long enought to sleep in, the 4x4 low range came in handy a few times and was fantastic on the mountain roads in the snow.

Pretty damn quick when need be too, travelled back from Vienna to Leicester in about11 hrs including the ferry! Was doing 120mph most of the way through Germany throught the night. It drank fuel though so i would advise to drive frugally and there not to bad on petrol.

Shame Subaru never did a deisel engine really.

Good review!!

They do a diesel now. Most diesel engines would fit into a leagacy so they designed there own, the first ever diesel boxer I believe. Subaru don't do things by halves.