MS261 M-Tronic Build

Heavy Oil Saw

Whilst you are about it I would order up a set of clutch springs as yours are starting to wear, you can see the flat spots where they mount on the shoes.

I’ll keep that in mind, and be next on my list of things to do, gotta get this and the lawnmower up and running (got a HRX573 side project).

I’ve cleared a space on the side board for that, those pics of the kids can go in the eaves [emoji23]. The mower is currently in the garage in bits, waiting on adjusting arms, I couldn’t save them from the rust, the transmission and engine now run, whether or not they will when I’ve put it back together is another story.

Whilst you are about it I would order up a set of clutch springs as yours are starting to wear, you can see the flat spots where they mount on the shoes.

I’ve got the saw built and running, but the clutch is always engaging, even at idle, which on the tacho fluctuates between 2700-2900RPM, which I believe to be in spec, and that it’s the M-Tronic “hunting” to stabilise the idle.
I’ve ordered the springs, replace them and see if that fixes the ever engaged clutch.
The saw starts third pull from cold, and first pull when warm. There’s no decomp, so it’s good hard pulls to start. Revs throughout and up to 17-18,000RPM as per book. Very happy with the build and finish.
Once I’ve got the clutch problem sorted, side cover fitted and a b&c, I’ll see if I can find some wood to cut [emoji1787].
Thanks for all your help and input. Sorry this isn’t a working saw, and a “shelf queen”.

17-18000 rpm? That is faster than I would have expected.

Is the clutch just being dragged round by friction from the bearing etc? Have I read it correctly that you don't have a bar and chain fitted right now?

Great work in getting it going!

Somthing is wrong. It maybe that you don’t have a bar and chain but 17-18k

if you take a pic of the clutch it may help in Diagnosing in what you may have done wrong or it could just be that you haven’t got a bar & chain on

edit. On tick over I’ve used a stick to stop the clutch spinning on a saw with no bar & chain. But being very careful at the time of doing not to get injured ?

3C48FFCC-B8D9-41BD-B25F-8C6A821F1F23.jpeg

Edited by Wonky

4 hours ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

I’ve got the saw built and running, but the clutch is always engaging, even at idle, which on the tacho fluctuates between 2700-2900RPM, which I believe to be in spec, and that it’s the M-Tronic “hunting” to stabilise the idle.
I’ve ordered the springs, replace them and see if that fixes the ever engaged clutch.
The saw starts third pull from cold, and first pull when warm. There’s no decomp, so it’s good hard pulls to start. Revs throughout and up to 17-18,000RPM as per book. Very happy with the build and finish.
Once I’ve got the clutch problem sorted, side cover fitted and a b&c, I’ll see if I can find some wood to cut emoji1787.png.
Thanks for all your help and input. Sorry this isn’t a working saw, and a “shelf queen”.

Max revs should be between 13800 and 14200 .  If you rev a saw with no bar and chain you can be privileged to see the clutch come off and shoot up the workshop at a rate of knots ! 

• Like 2