How much for a level HiLux of well-seasoned hardwood in Mendip?

wanstronian

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - he buys the wood in, he told me. He specifically was talking about delivery fuel.

Yes but he still has to split it(splitter runs on fuel) store it for a year( his money is tied up in that wood for 12months) load it up then deliver it, vans,truck and splitters dont run them selves. 80 quid is good, imo i sell wood but i dont sell cheap wood, theres to much work involved to sell it cheap. If you want cheap wood invest some of YOUR money in wood, splitter, etc etc and see how much you spend just to get "cheap firewood" !

Or buy crap thats freshly cut and wont burn in a month of sundays

Makes me laff, i get loades of people calling and saying can i have some wood, i will take it as it is and split it myself, thinking there going to get it for nowt only to get miffed off when tell them its still the normal price. Why is it people think they can get wood cheap cos its only wood but dont try and have the coal man or Britiish gas over!

Yes but he still has to split it(splitter runs on fuel) store it for a year( his money is tied up in that wood for 12months) load it up then deliver it, vans,truck and splitters dont run them selves. 80 quid is good, imo i sell wood but i dont sell cheap wood, theres to much work involved to sell it cheap. If you want cheap wood invest some of YOUR money in wood, splitter, etc etc and see how much you spend just to get "cheap firewood" !

Makes me laff, i get loades of people calling and saying can i have some wood, i will take it as it is and split it myself, thinking there going to get it for nowt only to get miffed off when tell them its still the normal price. Why is it people think they can get wood cheap cos its only wood but dont try and have the coal man or Britiish gas over!

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Hi all,

How much should I be looking to pay for a HiLux level load? Stores are getting low and I need to replenish. Local chap last year charged £80, it hissed a bit but burnt okay once it got hot enough. That was ash and beech (so he said). Expect his prices will have gone up at least a tenner this year (they did last year, apparently due to increased fuel costs. He lives two miles away...:thumbdown:)

Any locals want to quote? I'm a couple miles outside Glastonbury.

I'm happy to cut and split to length if it saves some cash.

Hi, we are not too far from you. we can supply 1 m3 of mixed hardwood mostly beech for £70.00 1.5m3 is £95.00, seasoned and stored under cover.

we also have 2 year under cover seasoned oak at £80.00 for 1 m3.

Number is:- 01458251529 or 07789204232 or website is msmfirewood.co.uk

Mike :001_smile:

I

Am I going to invest £10,000 in cord wood in the summer in the hope the wind does not blow all the trees over in october or some one steals it or sets fire to it NO.

Get the wood insured it does not cost too much just in case of these reasons.

People laugh at me when i say my wood is insured but better save than sorry:thumbup1:

as long as it is seasoned and has a moisture content between 20 to 25% your doing ok. :001_smile:

but most folk selling logs round here dont even understand about moisture content.

why dont you ask the guy. if he dont know he'l just say "there good log"

I'm happy to cut and split to length if it saves some cash.

Then buy in the roundwood & process it yourself. Min £35.00 tonne + haulage + VAT + saw, fuel & oil, splitter or axe, sore shins & splinters under the fingernails, sawdust, bark & chip waste to clear up etc. Store until dry.

I don't know what a hilux holds; single or double cab. My Ranger holds 1.4m3 level. Threads on here over the past months suggest about £100.00 per M3 to be the going rate. So, £80.00 or £90.00 for a Hilux (single cab) load seems a good price.

Do you want them stacked in the shed at the bottom of the garden, via that alleyway where I can skin my knuckles sir? And yes, it would have been handy if you'd moved your car before I arrived, we did agree on 9.30 after all. Oh, had you intended to make room in the shed before I arrived? You don't have the money right now, O.K. I'll call back later when you've been to the cash machine at Tesco's. You forgot to mention that you wanted a sack of kindling? O.K. I'll bring it when I come back for the money. What's that, sorry I misheard you. Never mind, keep the sodding logs & phone someone else next time!

Yes but he still has to split it(splitter runs on fuel) store it for a year( his money is tied up in that wood for 12months) load it up then deliver it, vans,truck and splitters dont run them selves. 80 quid is good, imo i sell wood but i dont sell cheap wood, theres to much work involved to sell it cheap. !
Obviously I misunderstood him then! I thought he meant he bought it in ready to sell on.
If you want cheap wood invest some of YOUR money in wood, splitter, etc etc and see how much you spend just to get "cheap firewood"

Makes me laff, i get loades of people calling and saying can i have some wood, i will take it as it is and split it myself, thinking there going to get it for nowt only to get miffed off when tell them its still the normal price.

But if they'll split it themselves, you could reduce the price by the cost of running your splitter? That seems fair, but of course it removes your opportunity for profit on that activity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising - I'd do the same as you! Business is business and profit's profit!
Why is it people think they can get wood cheap cos its only wood but dont try and have the coal man or Britiish gas over!
I guess it's because they can see trees whereas they can't see vast lakes of gas or seams of coal everywhere! They don't understand what needs to happen to get it from in the ground to in their log store. I do, in basic terms, but I'm not so much aware of the cost or level of effort... although this forum's been educating me!