Stolen saws and kit bag

DTaylor

6 minutes ago, donnk said:

sure, put the scum to hard labour. time added on on if they refuse or don't apply themselves to the extent they can be kept behind bars indefinitely if their attitude and behaviour doesn't change.

A former prison officer posted here earlier, the prisons are full, don't you believe this?

We need to build more prisons, or rehabilitate people. You've told us how much a metre squared costs, oh, and by the way, those new prisons will be down south.

21 minutes ago, donnk said:

3 strikes and life meaning life as in USA.

recidivism zero.

Agree with the sentiment but it should only apply to a certain level of offence.

I heard somewhere recently that 1/3 of women in prison are there due to non payment of TV Licence which seems crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug Tait said:

Agree with the sentiment but it should only apply to a certain level of offence.

I heard somewhere recently that 1/3 of women in prison are there due to non payment of TV Licence which seems crazy.

agree, all victimless crimes excluded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

A former prison officer posted here earlier, the prisons are full, don't you believe this?

We need to build more prisons, or rehabilitate people. You've told us how much a metre squared costs, oh, and by the way, those new prisons will be down south.

plenty of miserable, small uninhabited islands north of the isles that could be put to good use for cheap.

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Why down south? Stick them wherever it’s cheapest to build/run them. Repeat offenders get put wherever works best for the system.

There surely has to be a serious deterrent element for any punishment to be in any way effective?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Why down south? Stick them wherever it’s cheapest to build/run them. Repeat offenders get put wherever works best for the system.

There surely has to be a serious deterrent element for any punishment to be in any way effective?

Why?, because it's only fair, people up North don't want new prisons on their doorstep, so build them in the Home Counties. The serious deterrent is being in jail, not punishing people why they are there. If you can't see people need rehabilitation while they are in prison you are part of the problem.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Why?, because it's only fair, people up North don't want new prisons on their doorstep, so build them in the Home Counties. The serious deterrent is being in jail, not punishing people why they are there. If you can't see people need rehabilitation while they are in prison you are part of the problem.

I’m not convinced that my personal thoughts on how prisons should be a lot tougher makes me part of the problem. My beliefs don’t force pikeys to steal and/or kill policemen for example - they aren’t all doing that because Dan from Cheshire believes prisons are too soft. 
Rehabilitate where possible for first offences by all means, but make the second visit something to really fear. Less carrot more stick as you progress along the path of crime. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’m not convinced that my personal thoughts on how prisons should be a lot tougher makes me part of the problem. My beliefs don’t force pikeys to steal and/or kill policemen for example - they aren’t all doing that because Dan from Cheshire believes prisons are too soft. 
Rehabilitate where possible for first offences by all means, but make the second visit something to really fear. Less carrot more stick as you progress along the path of crime. 

Tell us about your experience of being in prison, tell us from your first hand experience why prisons aren't tough enough. 

I thought not.

25 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Tell us about your experience of being in prison, tell us from your first hand experience why prisons aren't tough enough. 

I thought not.

They represent enough of a deterrent to keep me out (coupled with the fact that I have no criminal intentions in the first place). 
They obviously don’t deter serial offenders though, which is the crux of the problem as far as I’m concerned.

And it’s not a great surprise that someone who has apparently regularly frequented prisons reckons they should be softer still!

Edited by monkeybusiness
  • Like 4