Canopy access

Tom Dunlap

How many climbers are using SRT to access the tree?

If you're not, can you explain why not? The ease of only having to isolate or clear one leg of the rope seems to make SRT access the easiest method.

Do you leave the access line in place for possible rescue you back up your ascending system? How eaasy/quick is it to convert to descent in the chance that you meet up with bees? My brother found that he had to do this and still got 75 beestings.

On Monday I get my Unicender back. It's been on tour for a while in Ohio and then over to the ISA conference in Hawaii. It will be nice to keep fine tuning my my working SRT system.

Tom

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do occasionally use SRT but my set up is far from being well developed. all i have is an ascender, a micro grab and a pantin. I need to get a footloop and a better means of a second attachment as the mircro grab sucks for this application. They will all come togther when i get some 8mm dyneema hollow braid

jamie

You guys lose me from time to time when you get technical :confused:

Don't get me wrong ; any tree any where is my motto. My climbing system is always basic and bomb proof.

I do access when appropriate using SRT but simply with a single hand ascender and footloop with a prussic above. (I'll post an image to pics)

It beats body thrusting on a long climb.

I'm keen to learn... Am I doing wrong?

There's a misconception that SRT is expensive and complicated. That comes from people forgetting that every piece of hardware is a replacement for a free knot/hitch.

Cavers really dialed-in SRT by the mid-sixties. From then on all that has really happened is that the gear has gotten better.

Webbing or cord loops will work ascenders remember...after all DdRT or traditional arbo systems use them extensively.

Not having to isolate the climbing line is one of the biggest basic advantages of SRT. That starts the ball rolling and from then on SRT really gains momentum over a DdRT ascent.

A friend of mine who bought a Unicender sat down and calculated the real cost of a traditional ascent system. Then he calculated the costs of replacing hitch cords...even without paying more for spliced eyes. He could see that using the Unicender would pay back the difference in price over traditional arbo ascent systems very quickly.

Tom