What accounts package are you using?

Jamie Jones

I use Xero, and as many have said, main reason is my accountant does too. I have given them access to it, so they can do all the legwork. All I do is hand over any receipts and invoices, they tally everything else up and do all my calculations. 

Slightly off topic/derailment..... but what do folks pay their accountant per month for services rendered? Mine does pretty much everything for me, quarterly vat, corporation tax, directors wages, etc etc. I pay her just a shy over £100 per month. And my Xero subscription is about £28 per month.

1 hour ago, scraggs said:

We used QB offline version for quite a few years a long time ago, I was going to use the latest offline version this time, but heard they were stopping it and were not going to support it any longer.

Having absolutely all records online bothers me, one for security reasons as people can and do break in (ask Travelex about that one!) and secondly I am not confident they might break down and the whole lot disappears. Never mind the fact that my internet connection is very unreliable.

You can probably download and print it all out daily but who does that.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 21:26, IronMike said:

I use Xero, and as many have said, main reason is my accountant does too. I have given them access to it, so they can do all the legwork. All I do is hand over any receipts and invoices, they tally everything else up and do all my calculations. 

Slightly off topic/derailment..... but what do folks pay their accountant per month for services rendered? Mine does pretty much everything for me, quarterly vat, corporation tax, directors wages, etc etc. I pay her just a shy over £100 per month. And my Xero subscription is about £28 per month.

Not far off what my bill was this year(I pay yearly). Vat returns are all done myself though. Why are you paying them to do this? Not familiar with Xero but I assume it works much like quick books, ie vat reports are done at the click of a button 

I have always muddled through my own sole trader vat returns, but when I started the new business venture I decided I’m going to pay someone to do it who knew what they were doing. My accountant is making me as tax efficient as possible without breaking the rules, she has already come up with various ideas that are way beyond my knowledge. I literally hand her my receipts and invoices and she does the rest. I don’t mind paying as I don’t have the time, patience or knowledge! Plus she is rather attractive so this make the whole process a lot easier ?

• Like 2

On 31/01/2020 at 07:04, IronMike said:

I have always muddled through my own sole trader vat returns, but when I started the new business venture I decided I’m going to pay someone to do it who knew what they were doing. My accountant is making me as tax efficient as possible without breaking the rules, she has already come up with various ideas that are way beyond my knowledge. I literally hand her my receipts and invoices and she does the rest. I don’t mind paying as I don’t have the time, patience or knowledge! Plus she is rather attractive so this make the whole process a lot easier ?

Sometimes, that is by far the best way and a good accountant will save you in many areas such as blood pressure and recognising areas where you can be tax efficient.

I wrote my own accounts package, which has served me well for over 20 years, but in the time when I ran a Ltd company our accountant was brilliant.