Keeping a lid on it

treequip

the deal is the chinstrap must be a three point, ie two on either side and one on the rear, the rear one can be attatched in two places but is still classed as a three pointer. the side protection was an approved upgrade made a few years later, but has been around long enuff for peeps to upgrade.

these helmets are safe 4 five years, ground-style huskys last two years.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it’s about the lateral protection. The EN397 Helmet standard lacks lateral protection.

The EN397 was only a top inpact standard

so new helmets must comply to EN 12492

which as previously been mentioned is also a side impact test so generally does need the new mountaineering style helmet

but stien as an example still do very similar looking helmets that only comply to EN397

only really came best practice in feb when they updated the AFAG,s

so it,s not how many point,s of attachment ect it,s weather it attains the correct EN standard

hope that makes sence

give them a break chaps the reccomendations changed this year.

this leaflett will have been produced by the marketing team with help from the cources office, by the time the arb team get to see it the leaflett will be with thousands of people and the arb team will be crting about the image the pics show,

if next year it has not changed then well we havea BIG dig then

kev

Yeah it would certainly be the side impact protection. I use my own set of kit when I climb at Myerscough, mainly because it's all mine and I know what work it's done, how it's been treated and stored. And I use one of the stein helmets. I struggle using one of the husky lids on the ground. I just love the comfort of the stein and with a mesh visor instead of the clear or smoked one it's a great combination

give them a break chaps the reccomendations changed this year.

this leaflett will have been produced by the marketing team with help from the cources office, by the time the arb team get to see it the leaflett will be with thousands of people and the arb team will be crting about the image the pics show,

if next year it has not changed then well we havea BIG dig then

kev

I dunno Kev, I still say I would have expected better. The following is from Myerscough’s website.

Myerscough College really is at the ‘cutting edge’ of developments in Arboriculture and is rightly regarded by many as the leading UK establishment for Higher Education in the subject.

Myerscough College is a Centre of Vocational Excellence (COVE) for Arboriculture and Urban Forestry. It is also home to the purpose built National Centre for Arboriculture, a state of the art teaching facility for the subject.

It’s not like lateral protection is a new issue and “better” helmets have been on the market for quite a while, I bought my first Petzl many years ago.

I am sure the promotion gang produced the literature but I am also sure they didn’t do it without at least consulting the departments involved.

Ok it’s only a few pictures and it’s not the end of the world BUT it landed through my door unsolicited and touting for work, and it came from an organisation calling itself “leading”, “cutting edge” and “state of the art”.

In one way Tree equip i agree, but ihave worked in the college sector and know what marketing departments are like in there rush to get stuff out

just look at any mag, journal euro arb even this very good site, and you can see people showcasing there ability and championing their skills above others, but is is always easy to find fault (must be said Mysco did make it easy for us)

even as an assessor the trick is to find a reason to pass a candidate not to fail them as finding fault is easy.

i feel for the college as there but for the grace of god........ i know on some of the stuff we have put out i sit there after going chin strap, tumb etc etc

kev

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought i'd better pull this one up quick!

The marketing team at Myerscough have a magical inability to communicate with the rest of the college!

Myerscough has been using Edelrid helmets prior to the legislation and recomendations of the revised AFAG guide.

Unfotunately Marketing keep putting these promotional type things out without consultation from the Arb staff. If you see some of the pictures, there are people still wearing full body harness'!!

Rest assured the trainees are up to date in all legislative ways.

There are still old style helmets in use for chainsaw and felling because to replace 40 helmets in one go at £100 a pop!

Decided against the Kahn (stien now) and the starwars things from a factory in Oldham due to robustness and looking silly!!

Colleges and cutting edge don't go together, the staff are often non working arborists who use antiquated techniques (fueled by the requirements of the assessments or plain lazy staff). I am in the camp that this is a poor reflection of the college and marketing team. I'm sure the designer got the proffs signed off apathy will probably be the main cause as with many things in life......