Forestry companies

Jack.P

22 minutes ago, htb said:

Large forestry companies working for forestry commission, no tickets or up to date with FISA then no work, well that's how it is up here.

Forestry Commission would require EFAW+F as well as tickets on their sites.

I wouldn't expect anyone without tickets to be employed, possibly subbies, it still happens.

Who is this large company and is it FC land?

2 hours ago, Jack.P said:

Intrested to hear from those with more experience how unusual is it for a large scale forestry companies to be employing cutters with no tickets ? (but know how to work a saw ) How does it work with insurances especially if they are felling on a roadside. 

Very unusual for that to happen ,but know how to run a saw ? and as for insurance well if you dont have a driving liecence would your insurance pay out if you had a road traffic accident ??? 

• Like 1

I'd say very unusual and surprised if it happens much nowadays.

Insurance may be a grey area, usually use the word competent, which does not necessarily mean tickets.

But if the brownstuff hitting the spinning thing tickets would be the 1st thing asked for.

My mates dad still does a bit on local estates, never done a saw ticket or wears any ppe, apart from a lumber jack shirt, has a donkey driven circular saw that scares me just looking at it.

Yet he is still the best hardwood cutter in the area.

But he is from a dying era/breed

Not many like him left now

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, drinksloe said:

apart from a lumber jack shirt

This is literally all you need, everyone knows that!

20 years ago it was the norm not to have tickets. Things have moved on a lot since then.

I'm sure if you travel to the far reaches of Scotland or similar there would be plenty small operators employing people with no tickets. Bit of a silly risk to take for any large scale firm though!

• Like 1

Ok .maybe the firm not for me .i got the tickets but noticed some youngish cutters didn’t have any when I did a few days with them a while ago .large firm should know better and not take any chances.they are on a job only down the road I could drop by but say what?