Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

The ancient pollards that are left today were worth more than money when they were worked. They helped build an empire.

Woodlands and forests in Tudor times were like the timber section at Wickes.

You chose the right shape and size for what you wanted to use it for.

I don't think it was anything romantic, just business because timber was expensive.

Good business's look after their staff. That's what the old woodsman was skilled at.

and whats your point ?:001_huh:

Pollards are not a four letter word.A good many of our veteran trees were pollarded in their early life.I can show you some old pollards.I will be surprised if you can show me the same species still standing erect if left untouched by man.

My first pic is of some black poplar pollards that are very old.They are on Castlemorten common near Malvern.Non of their untouched brethren have survived. These trees are an impressive site when in leaf and provide valuable habitat for many many species.

The other pics are of some willows I re-pollarded last spring.Many of the stems were overhanging the neighbour's orchard to which we were denied access and had to be winched back with the tirfor using the dumper as an anchor point.

Good for the bowels when you are stood on top of an old pollard with a chainsaw in you hand. Last pic shows two big willows at another customers which are right on the edge of a stream and are in danger of falling onto the sewage plant.Ideal to be pollarded. The ducks love willow pollards to nest in !!

DSCN1300.jpg.aca0521fc3bf03b61d29365539169df3.jpg

RIMG0606.jpg.cf6129ca80679642296e8a9d371c61fc.jpg

RIMG0586.jpg.ef5b72fe77a7074a0cac9ec85e6849ba.jpg

RIMG0484.jpg.8494854be03f2dd4d489f46385172288.jpg

DSC_4370.jpg.d3da35802b7605c7fa41790571fe4af2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now I'm sure there are parts of Oz where correct pollarding is being done, I just really have not seen any great examples....so when I came across this beauty in Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne I just has to take some pics.:001_cool:

Bear in mind this species is considered a weed here....it has responded really well to the work, and the flowering I suspect would be magnificent.

10006.JPG.4a7982d36161fd319058010b9353202a.JPG

10004.JPG.1571ae420c42c0e11b18e88e04d44fe1.JPG

10003.JPG.26091d64d491162e73740ff200369ed5.JPG

Now I'm sure there are parts of Oz where correct pollarding is being done, I just really have not seen any great examples....so when I came across this beauty in Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne I just has to take some pics.:001_cool:

Bear in mind this species is considered a weed here....it has responded really well to the work, and the flowering I suspect would be magnificent.

Thanks for this post sean, this is a really nice and rather unusual example, top post!:thumbup1: