Pollards, the forgotten art-discussion

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

That really is a little corker.

Great that it's being alowed to do it's thing.

All too rare occurance these days.

i'd be too ashamed to fell such a fine old timer.

:

I wonder how many viewers see this Ash for its true beauty, and how many would be rubbing up their 084's?

Discuss!:001_smile:

I wonder how many viewers see this Ash for its true beauty, and how many would be rubbing up their 084's?

Discuss!:001_smile:

Not enough sound wood in there to even bother starting up a saw.

But that probably wouldn't stop the over zealous trigger happy uneducated saw freaks though :sneaky2:

:lol:

That really is a little corker.

Great that it's being alowed to do it's thing.

All too rare occurance these days.

i'd be too ashamed to fell such a fine old timer.

Good find, good post :thumbup1:

Hear Hear :thumbup:

Shame the poor thing has had to struggle on account of us evil humans!:sneaky2:

Think i am understanding you guys a bit more... Its not that you like pollards, its more that you like how the tree reacts and adapts to it that gives you wood (if you will pardon the pun lol) Am i right?

I can see in a way how your twisted minds like to study the suffering of these poor things but please for the love of mother nature (god in many others eyes) dont do it to good healthy ones! Thats all i am saying ;)

p.s. the twisted minds bit was a joke before you sacrifice my soul :)

Hear Hear :thumbup:

Shame the poor thing has had to struggle on account of us evil humans!:sneaky2:

How is it suffering?

fungi and old age retrenches prunes pollards, so what difference that man does this too, and in fact in a more controlled way than natural abiotic/biotic forces do, giving the tree often much increased longevity.

suffering? really? a tree "suffers these problems" naturaly, by drought seasons in old age when it is overstretched, along come fungi and assist the removal of the redundant parts, and often asist in the minimising of damage during storms when limbs get lost rather than major stem damage or root upheaval because the core has been decayed.

you have atypical but strange perception of our role.:sneaky2:

Veteran creation and maintenance is the highest branch in our industry, it is the career of choice for the "elite" (hate the word) or discerning arborist.

If you was to fully support your views then rather than prune you would be selling yourself as a soil remediation expert inclusive of irigation, then the trees would not require much "suffering"!:001_cool:

How is it suffering?

fungi and old age retrenches prunes pollards, so what difference that man does this too, and in fact in a more controlled way than natural abiotic/biotic forces do, giving the tree often much increased longevity.

suffering? really? a tree "suffers these problems" naturaly, by drought seasons in old age when it is overstretched, along come fungi and assist the removal of the redundant parts, and often asist in the minimising of damage during storms when limbs get lost rather than major stem damage or root upheaval because the core has been decayed.

you have atypical but strange perception of our role.:sneaky2:

Veteran creation and maintenance is the highest branch in our industry, it is the career of choice for the "elite" (hate the word) or discerning arborist.

If you was to fully support your views then rather than prune you would be selling yourself as a soil remediation expert inclusive of irigation, then the trees would not require much "suffering"!:001_cool:

Geez i should just keep my mouth shut when your around!

I said "struggling" not "suffering" although the 2 words are very similar in this instance. I know these things happen in nature and i am just as amazed and intrigued as you are about it. Our role? Our role would not exist and trees would get on fine without us if we didnt force ourselves upon them. I dont want to argue with you because you have your points and i have mine and we are both stubborn as mules. If you prefer i will say no more on any of the threads regarding pollards if my point of view upsets you so much, i just cant be bothered arguing with you. :thumbdown:

Next time you feel like jumping down my throat just read your David Attenborough quote, thats where i am coming from.

Think i am understanding you guys a bit more... Its not that you like pollards, its more that you like how the tree reacts and adapts to it that gives you wood (if you will pardon the pun lol) Am i right?

I can see in a way how your twisted minds like to study the suffering of these poor things but please for the love of mother nature (god in many others eyes) dont do it to good healthy ones! Thats all i am saying ;)

p.s. the twisted minds bit was a joke before you sacrifice my soul :)

Geez i should just keep my mouth shut when your around!

I said "struggling" not "suffering" although the 2 words are very similar in this instance. I know these things happen in nature and i am just as amazed and intrigued as you are about it. Our role? Our role would not exist and trees would get on fine without us if we didnt force ourselves upon them. I dont want to argue with you because you have your points and i have mine and we are both stubborn as mules. If you prefer i will say no more on any of the threads regarding pollards if my point of view upsets you so much, i just cant be bothered arguing with you. :thumbdown:

Next time you feel like jumping down my throat just read your David Attenborough quote, thats where i am coming from.

Nope wouldnt stop anyone talking/debating on a forum! oh and what you say is highlighted!:lol: