redmoosefaction

not so, theres a huge difference in how quickly sd cards process information......the speed a digital camera takes photos at can be dependant on how good the card is apparently

So what kind of card do you use in your X170 Steve? The quality looked pretty good - need to get one for mine :001_smile:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I can't see how, its just storage space there is no "processing" going on, thats all done in the camera?

I'm not sure I know anything, so I'll happily be wrong. But the headcam in question is not HD or anywhere near it, so I doubt the card would make any difference.

Personally though I still think its all a con. Like when they try and sell you better cables for digital hi-fi stuff. digital is digital it either works or it doesn't you can't have a better or worse digital signal. But thats cables its a different thing, but similar.

Not quite, Rupe. The card's processing rate is the 'speed' at which data can be recorded onto it.

If the camera records in HD (or if a stills camera records in high M-pixels) then every second's worth of recording holds more data and, if you want to record in real-time, each second's worth of recording requires greater processing rate to file that info into a memory card.

So a card is needed that can be 'force-fed' this larger amount of data per second.

This info only applies to one part of your thread - I realise that your camera doesn't record in HD.

Dee

Ok, learn something new everyday! Do cameras not have an internal memory that will buffer the information if there is a delay getting it onto the card?

Computers have one, can't remember whats its called though. I guess only top end cameras would have it as they would be the only ones that need it.

Ok, learn something new everyday! Do cameras not have an internal memory that will buffer the information if there is a delay getting it onto the card?

Computers have one, can't remember whats its called though. I guess only top end cameras would have it as they would be the only ones that need it.

Still cameras do have a buffer - but the buffering capacity will eventually fill up ie. a high end DSLR might be able to take 90 jpeg images within a matter of seconds but will then need time afterwards (when the shutter is not being pressed) to finish processing these images - maybe 10 seconds continuous shooting and then 20 seconds playing 'catch up'.

But because a video stream is usually continuous, there isn't downtime - unless you remove frames from every second of footage. With smooth, HD capture, you can't afford to omit frames.

There are different speed grades available, measured the same as CD-ROMs, in multiples of 150 kB/s (1x = 150 kB/s). Basic cards transfer data up to six times (6x) the data rate of the standard CD-ROM speed (900 kB/s vs. 150 kB/s). High-Capacity cards are made with higher data transfer rates like 66x (10 MB/s), and high-end cards have speeds of 200x or higher. SanDisk classifies their cards as:

• Ultra II — minimum read speed of 15 MByte/s (100x)
  • Extreme III — maximum speed of 30 MByte/s (200x) (SanDisk Class 6)
  • Extreme IV — up to 45 MByte/s (300x) (Currently only available for Compact Flash formats)

Note that maximum read speed and maximum write speed may be different. Maximum write speed typically is lower than maximum read speed. Some digital cameras require high-speed cards (write speed) to record video smoothly or capture multiple still photographs in rapid succession. This requires a certain sustained speed, or the video stops recording. For recording, a high maximum speed with a low sustained speed is no better than a low speed card. The 2.0 specification defines speeds up to 200x.

SD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[8]

• Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
  • Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
  • Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

SD and SDHC cards will often also advertise a maximum speed (such as 133x or 150x) in addition to this minimum Speed Class Rating. Important differences between the Speed Class and the traditional "X" speed ratings are; 1) the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required, 2) class speed defines the minimum transfer speed. Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like "X" speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process.

On 21 May 2009, Panasonic announced new "class 10" SDHC cards, claiming that this new class is "part of SD Card Specification Ver.3.0".[9] Toshiba also announced cards based on the new 3.0 spec[10] As of November 2009[update], the SD Association's Web site does not include information on this new class or new specification.

Glad I got that sorted, all clear now!

not so, theres a huge difference in how quickly sd cards process information......the speed a digital camera takes photos at can be dependant on how good the card is apparently

The man aint wrong, always get the best memory cards you can afford, its like in the old days of film speed and quality, you pays your money and takes your chances