Advice on best tools for a future tree surgeon please guys

Rhys Conway

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are only doing CS30/31 whats all the talk about climbing gear for? Get the climbing kit when youve booked the CS38 course, or after it if the college will loan it to you for the course.

I would get the absolute minimum kit secondhand off ebay and do the ground based course with that. You can sell it afterwards, and if its secondhand you should get your money back less postage.

You'll be able to talk to the instructor about what you need and probably see and try other peoples kit during the course. You'll have a much better feel for what you should and shouldnt buy after the course.

An MS260 or 026(earlier version of the MS260) is a good saw but whatever you get you need a maximum 15" bar and to make sure all the safety features are fitted and working-if anythings faulty you wont be able to use it on the course. The CS30 covers maintenance so some minor safety niggles may be rectified during that part of the course, but if theres fundamental things not working then the instructor wont allow the saw to be used!! Can you borrow a properly serviced saw from anyone?

where are you based sir

as others have said someone could possibly help out with a bit of ppe

and saw i would either buy stihl or husky but must be 15 inch bar or under

the lighter the better for learning husky any upto 353 but i would get a 346

stihl upto 341 but a 230 or 260 fine

personally if you can afford new i would buy new so it all works fine on course ect and you can always sell later

climbing kit is a minefield try to find out if you can use colledges or try to find someone to either let you have a go or give you some advice as on here your head will explode with folks views on climbing kit

or decide where your buying from and use there advice

hope that helps rather than confuses

Thanks guys for all the feedback, i think i will wait to buy climbing kit until i do the cs 38 course, Im still intrested in getting the Stihl ms 260 as safety is paramount as we all know, and the Huskys that many are on about seem to be faster at cuts but im in no race to cuts logs and fell tree's in record time just yet, so thanks guys you've all be really helpfull.

A couple of days a week with a local tree firm will be the best "tool" to start you off mate IMO, get a look at there kit, get a feel for the job, Happy days, Then having used abit of kit make your own choice as to whats right for you!! :thumbup:

ms 260 is a great little saw. perfect for what you want.

as for PPE ,i would get stihl high flex as they (in my opinion) are the most cofortable chainsaw trousers on the market.

Also haix boots are long lasting. had mine nearly 2 years now and they have been worked in everyday almost.

If you are looking to be climbing in the future i would reccomend getting a petzl or simmilar chainsaw helmet as then when you come to the climbing you wont have to spend out on another hemet.

hope this helps.