Dogs are the best deterrent!!!!!!!!!!!

skyhuck

Me too, I'd never use any dog to guard my stuff. I'd rather lose my gear than see a dog's head stoved in.

I think people misunderstand me, my dog is basically an alarm, its the NOISE a dog makes thats the important thing, he alerts me to the presence of an intruder and lets them now that we now their there.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huck you said earl;yer in this thread that it was partially your fault because you sold the pile of timber thatc was hiding the shed !! This really gets me because why should you have to do things like not sell piles of timber for fear of the thieving swines noticing your container ?? you like many of us have worke bloody hard to get what you have got !! and personally i think that having a dog that lets you know someone is there is a great idea

I used to work for a company that did all of the tree work for the mod down this way and one day was chatting to one of the security guards who patroled with a dog and asked him how much training it took to get the dogs to take an intruder to the ground! . His reply to me was that they are not allowed to let the dogs off their leed to stop an intruder even tho there is a 12 foot perimetre fence topped of with razor wire and with visible signs telling the public to keep out . Just goes to show how soft the country has gone when it comes to intruders and oppertunist thieves.

I dont doubt for one minute that your dog is precious to you as a pet aswell as a guard dog and would'nt want to see any harm come to him but you did say you went out and made the mistake of putting him away otherwise the burglar would have done a runner at the sight of Max.

Maybe he would have done a runner and your tools would have been safe, on the other hand he may have put a lump of wood over the dogs head and you would have come home to a dead dog and tools missing.

I rely on my dogs hearing only, good if you're at home at the time but most scum wait til your backs turned. That's why I rely on a heavily armed:sneaky2:shed.

Yorkies RULE:lol:

I dont doubt for one minute that your dog is precious to you as a pet aswell as a guard dog and would'nt want to see any harm come to him but you did say you went out and made the mistake of putting him away otherwise the burglar would have done a runner at the sight of Max.

Maybe he would have done a runner and your tools would have been safe, on the other hand he may have put a lump of wood over the dogs head and you would have come home to a dead dog and tools missing.

I rely on my dogs hearing only, good if you're at home at the time but most scum wait til your backs turned. That's why I rely on a heavily armed:sneaky2:shed.

Yorkies RULE:lol:

No.

I was referring to his "bark" scaring him off, not the sight of him, it was dark mate.

Went out on Friday night, to a Xmas bash and got home at 2.30AM. So last night my Mrs asked me to shut our large GSD in his kennel so he would not bark and we could have a lie in.

BIG mistake!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

In the night some scum bag has parked in a lay by on the road and came across the field to my yard. If Max (our dog) had been out he would have either scared them off or alerted me to their presence!!

:

Huck you said earl;yer in this thread that it was partially your fault because you sold the pile of timber thatc was hiding the shed !! This really gets me because why should you have to do things like not sell piles of timber for fear of the thieving swines noticing your container ?? you like many of us have worke bloody hard to get what you have got !! and personally i think that having a dog that lets you know someone is there is a great idea

Could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really hold my self responsible in any way, it was a flippant comment really.

As you say we should be able to just get on with life, without having to try and think like a criminal and come up with ways of thwarting the scum!!!

I agree with the comments about a determined thief hurting a dog, even a big one. As I wrote earlier, I'd rather lose my TV than lose a dog any day.

But there are times when a determined dog can save someone close to you, I'm happy to go to work leaving my wife with the dogs as I know they would die to protect her or my lads. A protection dog doesn't even have to be large, a Staff terrier is a powerful compact dog with a good protection instinct.